This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

There’s nothing worse than finishing an incredible show on Netflix, and not knowing what to watch next.  With so many options, making a decision on what to watch can feel incredibly overwhelming. I have seen a wide array of shows, though, and can recommend the best Netflix has to offer— for whatever sort of mood you may be in. 

One show that I’m currently watching is “Friday Night Lights,” and so far it’s fantastic.  It’s a great show if you want something long-running, or a teen show that truly embraces the Texas spirit.  It is emotional and dramatic, without ever coming across as soapy.  It also balances the lives of the teenagers on the show (who in typical late 2000’s fashion are played by non teenage actors), as well as the lives of their parents.  This is something that is often not often accomplished in shows of this type (with the exception of “One Tree Hill” – which is also great).

If you’re looking for a sitcom, Netflix has a lot of great options.  One of the classics is “How I Met Your Mother.”  It thrives under a great cast and a fun plot—but also includes occasional serious story lines.  Another great one is “Parks and Rec,” which, while a little slow during its first season, really picks up in its second and consistently improves throughout its run.  This is an incredibly rare feat for long-running shows of any kind.  It also has a truly stellar cast (Amy Poehler, Rob Lowe, Chris Pratt, Aubrey Plaza, Nick Offerman, and Aziz Ansari) with incredible chemistry.  Most importantly, it also has an important message about female empowerment, and never giving up on accomplishing your goals.  A little more off the beaten path is the show “Scrubs,” which is a little quirky, a little weird, and very funny.  It’s also great at mixing in serious plot lines and real emotions, with a never-ending stream of humorous entertainment. 

My final recommendation is a seriously underrated show that more people should be watching.  “Shameless,” currently airing its seventh season, is a Showtime original series about a dysfunctional family living below the poverty line.  Its cast is incredible, as evidenced by its actors’ multiple Emmy nominations.  They completely nail the wide range of emotional moments that the show puts them in, and each character comes across as both authentic and raw.  It also features what develops to be one of the best-written gay couples on television.  Beyond capturing the often-overwhelming struggles that come with living so far below the poverty line, “Shameless” also finds humor in the outlandish situations that its characters often throw themselves into.

Happy procrastination!