This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

When I imagined life in college, attending classes during a pandemic certainly was not at the top of my list. I also could not have imagined what it would be like to navigate social interactions, pursue academic and career goals, or even write for Her Campus during a time like this – which is exactly why we’re determined to make this semester a great one! Our chapter has been working on quite a few things and we plan to put out more great content more frequently.

Here’s some of the things we’ve done over the past few months, and what we’re looking forward to:

Black Lives Matter Fundraising Challenge

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, Her Campus Duke began a fundraising challenge among Duke publications like FORM Magazine. This effort, spearheaded by social media director Bella Caracta, was intended to encourage accountability among our peers and provide tangible support to local organizations as they demand racial justice in their communities. This is just one of the many steps we are taking to deepen our connection with the Duke community and the wider community as a whole.

Recruitment!

Honestly, we’d love to have new members year-round, but the start of the fall semester is often when most students are willing to try something new. Therefore, we’re ramping up our recruitment efforts this week, and we hope you’ll consider joining!

For instance, we have an SMS bot that you can sign up to receive texts from. Our original campaign was scheduled for August 10-15, but it will continue until the end of August on an updated schedule. Stay tuned!

You’ll be also able to visit our booth at the virtual activity fair from August 20 to 21 on DukeGroups. There will be a Zoom interest meeting on Thursday from 6-7, and the recording will be available for viewing after 9pm the same day.

Humans of Duke

Humans of Duke is our photography series that aims to capture the lives of Duke students from all majors, interests, and backgrounds. This may look a little different in a pandemic, but we’re determined to make it work!

More Themed Content and Series

If you loved our Halloween content last year, you’ll be sure to enjoy the themed content we’re planning this year. We’re also going to have more content that’s joined by a cohesive topic in addition to our usual musings.

Does any of this sound particularly exciting to you? Consider joining us at our interest meeting on Thursday at 6:00pm ET. You’ll be able to find the Zoom information on DukeGroups or on your class Facebook page.

Looking forward to a great year!

Nadia is a current sophomore and Campus Correspondent for the Duke chapter. Her primary academic interests lie in the natural sciences, and writing has always been one of her favorite activities. She enjoys exploring how concepts such as gender and race influence pop culture, healthcare and education.