This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Watch

Bridgerton

This series is the ultimate escape. With super colorful clothing and sets, any historical lover who can bend the accuracy rules will love this fun, reimagining of English debutante season. I particularly love how it feels like a romance, mystery, and drama all at once. If you like outrageous behavior and plots while keeping it classy, this show could be perfect for you.

Charlie’s Angels (1976-1981)

This show is a childhood staple of mine, even though it is way older than me. IMDb only has the first two seasons, but what they have is gold. The girl power is prevalent in this series with three female leads. While they do make some blunders and everything does not translate well to 2021, it is a great show. If you are looking for a light hearted detective show, this is definitely good for escaping the every present heaviness of the world right now.

Read

Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi 

This novel is a breath of fresh air. It has something for everyone. There is magic, political intrigue, hints of religion, and sparks of romance. Every character is multi-dimensional and the cast of characters is rather diverse with bisexual and mixed race characters. I also love how the author handles the complications of the world such as the faults in the governing systems in place and the racism and discrimination different characters face. 

Work for It by Talia Hibbert

This book is so sweet and romantic. One wealthy man leaves the city to volunteer at a drink company’s harvest of flowers. Along the way, he meets a grumpy but sweet man who works for the company. Both of them have a lot of baggage and rightful hesitations with love but their character development is beautiful. I found both main characters so delightful and super funny.The friendships were also inspiring and the loyalty everyone showed was phenomenal.  Anyone who adores men who fight their feelings, but are still adorable somehow, should pick up this book.

Listen

“What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong

Though we cannot shake hands as easily as we usually can, this song is such a great thing to keep in mind right now. The world we live in is not perfect but it is still a beautiful world. We can even find beauty in the ugliness and madness we field through every day. This song is for days when you forget about that beauty and need help finding something amazing.

“bad news” by LANY

This song is super catchy in my opinion. I like how it tells a story but also makes a bad boy relatable. The lines are flirty and fun. I cannot get enough of his delivery of lines that point out the family’s reactions: sister is jealous and brother is worried. No matter how bad he is for this person, I am definitely rooting for bad news on this one.

I'm a junior from Greensboro, North Carolina. I'm a Psychology major and Creative Writing minor. My two favorite music genres are pop and country. I enjoy drawing and painting when I find the time and the inspiration. I love reading about love and writing anything except essays. I have way too much perfume, and I watch way too many TV shows and movies.
Duke Contributors!