The Wand’s Called A Wand For A Reason

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Let’s be real: who doesn’t love a bit of mascara? However, do girls really know mascara? Nowadays, companies make sure to feed us BS ads such as “lashes rocket up to 1 inch flares” or “get false eyelashes instantly,” when the mascara is nothing worth the hype. Might as well tell us: “your lashes will now glow in the dark and help fight cancer.” Thanks for that, you evil money-takers. I mean, how many times have you gotten seemingly promising mascara that turned out to be no different from any other tube of black ink? What’s the secret, then? Sure, the formula of the mascara is important: you don’t want that substance to be too wet and slide and stick your lashes together (eek, spider legs), or too crispy and end up making your lashes look like they got burnt in the deserts of the Sahara (although, truth be told, Durham isn’t much cooler these days either). However, forget the formula; it’s the mascara wands that do all the magic. And by knowing this, you will definitely get your money’s worth. Here’s to a bit of wand-education, ladies.

1. Thick, big, fat wands (à la L’Oreal’s Carbon Black Voluminous Mascara): These wands are built for volume. They make you have the appearance of a million thicker, longer lashes, but unfortunately do not separate the lashes from each other, which can potentially result in clumpiness. Make sure to use an eyelash brush to avoid clumps and stuck-together lashes!
  2. Rubber wands (à la Yves Saint Laurent’s Baby Doll Mascara): These wands are known to pick up a lot of product and spread it evenly across the lash line. They have the ability to work right into the root of the lash, which is perfect for girls with shorter lashes. Rubber wands are ideal for length and separation, but don’t necessarily give that extra oomph of volume. However, on days when you feel like wearing natural make up, these mascaras are perfect. They don’t make your lashes crispy and don’t cause clumps!
  3. Fiber wands (à la Dior Diorshow Extase Mascara): Rumor has it that these babies seal the deal! Oh, wait, it’s not a rumor… It’s the truth. Length, separation, curl, volume, everything is present on these wands that pick up product efficiently, without going overboard with excess ink.
  4. Ball wands (à la Benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara): The balls on some wands are made precisely for intricate places, on the inside and outside lash lines. Flirty, feline looks are usually accomplished with these wands as they wing out the lashes at the edges.
  5. Curved Wands (à la Lancôme’s Virtuose Mascara): These take the shape of your lash line and make the application easier. No more twisting of the wrist to get all of your lashes coated: one hand gesture does it all, thanks to these wands. The fiber bristles result in the full package of drama, flirtatiousness, and feathered out lashes.

Photo Source: 1

Article inspired by Into The Gloss: http://intothegloss.com/2013/09/mascara-wands-an-education/

From Almaty, Kazakhstan. Duke University student.