Trend Report: Tribal Leggings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

This winter we’ve seen a new trend grace our campus. Tribal patterns have been in for a couple seasons including pieces from designers such as Valentino, Givenchy, and Alexander McQueen. Shirts, dresses, jackets, and now leggings. There has been much debate over leggings from those of us who get on our soapboxes about how leggings should NEVER be worn as pants. But by now they’ve pretty solidly broken onto the scene. From fleece-lined pairs at Anthropologie to full lines of jeggings at the Gap, we’ve all but lost. (I refuse to give up in on tights as pants though! Gotta keep it classy.) In the last couple weeks I’ve seen dozens of new pairs of leggings in tribal patterns, often paired with a denim button down and some combat boots. Whether you choose a graphic black and white or go a little more native with some splashes of color, mix up the usual blacks of winter with a little pattern. If you’re really worried about Durham’s bipolar weather, double layer some classic blacks underneath for some extra warmth. But one thing is for sure, you won’t be alone in adding a little wild side to your wardrobe this season.

I'm a Duke freshman from Davidson, North Carolina. I've got a love for southern sorority fashion but with a hipster twist. Think: Lilly Pulitzer shorts at an Avett Brothers concert. I like to bring a touch of the runway to campus and track trends every season, between papers and hours in the library of course! XO SJH