Top 5 Hidden Gems of Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

So you’ve seen every available episode of “How I Met Your Mother,” pulled an all nighter to catch up on “Breaking Bad” and plowed through everything from the “Popular on Netflix” list. Now, you’re scrambling for something else to watch. We’ve curated a list of five movies and TV shows available on Instant Streaming to get you through midterms and add some diversity to your Netflix queue. Shut your calculus textbook, open up a new tab, sit back, relax and enjoy these five treasures.

1. The Giant Mechanical Man

In this independent romcom, Jenna Fischer stars as a lost 30-something who falls for a street performer. The Giant Mechanical Man is a sweet and incredibly charming film that is perfect for any movie night.

2. Bomb Girls

This television drama depicts a group of workingwomen in a munitions factory during World War II as they face the dangers and new experiences of life on the home front. It’s got a fantastic ensemble cast, captivating storylines and plenty of heart.

3. The West Wing

Brilliant acting, brilliant writing, brilliant show. With seven seasons of political and emotional drama and wit, this behind-the-scenes look at a fictional presidential administration is sure to be at the top of your queue. A must-see for a PoliSci major (or really any major at all).

4. First Position

Netflix is actually packed with a host of exceptional documentaries, and this is one of the best. Follow several budding adolescent dancers on their way to one of the world’s most prestigious ballet competitions in this inspiring emotional rollercoaster.

5. Breakfast at Tiffany’s

While this isn’t very “hidden,” the thing that has surprised me the most about college hasn’t been how challenging the classes are, how hard it is to do your own laundry or even how cute the boys are. It’s how few people have viewed this must-see Audrey Hepburn classic. What are you waiting for? Go watch it, now!

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major