Greetings, wizards, witches, ghosts, zombies, and other fantastical creatures! Welcome to the first day of Halloweek! On one hand, it’s hard to believe that we’ve reached this point in the year. But on the other, with all of the midterms, homework, and obligations that have been piling up since classes started, it seems that spooky szn has BEEN going on. You could honestly fill a haunted house with blue books, essays with subpar scores on them, and internship rejection emails, and the effect would be just as terrifying.
School matters aside, let’s get to what I actually came here to talk about (although we can agonize over grades later): Halloween! Specifically, the tunes that you should be blasting at your Halloween rager next week. I am by no means a music connoisseur, but I did DJ a Halloween carnival my senior year, so I do think that I am uniquely qualified to be giving advice on this topic. . . Without further adieu, here are my top ten songs, as well as a few extras to beef up your playlist. I’m doing the first list in descending order to heighten the suspense:
10. “Roman Holiday” by Nicki Minaj
Not exactly Halloween-themed, but it still gives theatrics.
9. “Sweet But Psycho” by Ava Maxx
I don’t know about you, but this song personally gives me the heebie-jeebies. Two friends and I decided (for some unknown reason) to choreograph a dance to it my junior year and perform it for one of our classes, and I still die inside everytime I hear it.
8. “Black Widow” by Rita Ora
7. “Maneater” by Nelly Furtado
6. “E.T” by Katy Perry
5. “Take It Off” by Kesha
4. “Disturbia” by Rihanna
3. “Calling All the Monsters” by China Anne McClain
Halloween is pretty much the only occasion in which it would be appropriate to play this song, so take full advantage of it.
2. “Cannibal” by Kesha
To keep the continuity with the whole man-eating theme that we have going on.
1. “Thriller” by Michael Jackson
Say what you want about the other songs on this list, but if you and your friends aren’t doing the Thriller zombie dance next weekend, I will take it as a personal attack.
Additional/Extra Credit Songs:
- “Hoedown Throwdown” by Miley Cyrus
This is probably a hot take, but if I were you, I wouldn’t deprive myself of the rare opportunity to pop it, lock it, and polka-dot it!
- “The Monster” by Eminen ft. Rihanna
- “Monster” by Kanye West
- “S&M” by Rihanna
- “Die Young” by Kesha
- “Toxic” by Britney Spears
- “Somebody’s Watching Me” by Rockwell
- “Barbie Tingz” by Nicki Minaj
- “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar
- “Sippy Cup” by Melanie Martinez
- “Bury a Friend” by Billie Eilish
- “Man Down” by Rihanna
- “Dark Horse” by Katy Perry
- “Teeth”or “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga–depending on the vibe
- “Beauty and a Beat” by Justin Bieber ft. Nicki Minaj
- “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga
- “She Wolf” by Shakira
- “Superstition” by Stevie Wonder
- “Black Magic” by Little Mix
- “Pound the Alarm” by Nicki Minaj
I hope that y’all enjoyed these recommendations and that you have the most lively Halloween party yet! I’ve linked my personal Halloween playlist down below in case you’re clamoring for even more inspiration: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4WKbWwPf4IQ4J3l3LKppVN?si=229a3507bc324226. Also, contact/yell at me~if you dare~if I’ve left out a track that you feel should’ve been included in the above lists.
Ciao, my BOO-tiful babies!