Ten Ways to Turn Any Day into a Good Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Having the occasional bad day is inevitable; sometimes it just feels like the world is against you. Whether it’s because you woke up late and missed your quiz, spilt your food all over yourself at lunch, or tripped going up the steps by the Chapel, occasionally the world just doesn’t work in your favor. However, keeping a positive attitude throughout your daily struggles is crucial to maintaining your health and happiness. There’s usually a positive side to everything if you just look hard enough. It’s also important though to take matters into your own hands and actively work to improve your mood. Here are ten ways to turn everyday into a good day:

1.     Look at puppy pictures – Okay so this won’t actually fix any of your life problems but it’s hard to be sad when looking at theses adorable balls of fluff. I recommend this tumblr page https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/puppy-gif

2.     Go outside – Simply getting some fresh air can majorly improve your mood. Try going for a quick walk if you have time too.

3.     Get a smoothie – Whether you’re an orange-mango or strawberry-banana person, everyone loves a good smoothie. And if you order one that has real fruit and no added sugar or make one yourself, you don’t even have to feel guilty about it. 

4.     Stop by Jazz at the Mary Lou – If it’s Wednesday, try to stop by the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture and listen to some music. It’s a great way to unwind and can really put your mind at ease.

5.     Call a friend from home – It always helps me to take a short break from my college life by talking to one of my high school friends. I’m reminded of good times in the past and get to catch up on what’s going on in my friends’ lives.

6.     Try something new – Sometimes, my bad mood originates from a lack of spontaneity in my life. It’s easy to get down when you feel like you do the same thing over and over each day. I like mixing it up by taking new routes to class, finding a fresh study spot, or talking to someone new.

7.     Take an exercise class – It’s easy to get into the same monotonous routine at the gym, which is why I like trying out a new group fitness class when I’m feeling down. It’s motivating to workout around other people and I’m usually forced to try out exercises that I wouldn’t normally do, especially in classes like spinning or yoga. 

8.     Order your favorite food – If your day just couldn’t get any worse, I recommend grabbing a bite to eat from your favorite restaurant. Whether you’re a fan of fries from Pitchforks or the Loop’s mozzarella sticks, sometimes you just have to treat yourself.

9.     Light a candle or spritz on some perfume – Sometimes, simply enjoying a pleasant scent can uplift your spirits. My favorites right now are lavender and lemon verbena.

10.      Watch your favorite TV show – taking a break from the real world to spend time with my favorite fictional characters sometimes has the power to turn my day around. Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder are wonderful options.

I hope these tips help turn your bad days into good ones!

Freshman at Duke University! I love my friends, running, buying things I can't afford, and watching Gossip Girl.