Swimsuits for All Sizes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s that time of year ladies. The time of year where you did your swimwear out from the back of your closet and wonder how any of this ever fit you or looked good. Then comes the hours at the mall trying on style after style just feeling fatter than ever and deciding you’re never going out in public again. Well let’s skip some of the drama and try to find a suit that is going to flatter your shape and hide all your flaws.

1. Athletic – The key thing when choosing a bathing suit for an athletic build is creating shape. You’ve already got rockin abs and toned arms but often its hard to make your shape still look “girly”. Look for ruffles and other details up top to add volume and draw the eye. Patterns are your friend since they add something cute and feminine.

2. Pear – The pear shape struggles with hiding insecurities on the bottom while trying to boost the ladies on the top. My recommendation is to invest in a top that has some structure on the top, a build in bra can only help the ladies. Ruffles can also add volume and fill you out on the top. When looking for bottoms, a lot of people will suggest a one piece because it slims and flatters. But a lot of women reject one pieces out of hand. Personally, capitalize on the 40s trend and choose a high-waisted suit. The extra fabric and a little ruching can conceal unwanted lumps and bumps.

3. Apple – Rushing through the midsection is going to be your best friend. If you choose a one piece or a high-waisted bottom, make sure it’s got a little ruffle. Side-panels can also create the illusion of slimness. Otherwise, large bands on the top can secure the goods and make sure nothing flops out while a ruffle-top bottom can be adjusted to cover.

4. Hourglass – Congratulations, you have an awesome shape. You want something that emphasizes your smallest part, your waist. Many suits no come with a build in belt that can really draw the eye. Deep-v necklines lengthen and draw attention to the bust line. To slim the thighs, choose a higher-cut bottom. The more thigh you bare, the more the line of the suit draws attention away from them, go-figure. 

I'm a Duke freshman from Davidson, North Carolina. I've got a love for southern sorority fashion but with a hipster twist. Think: Lilly Pulitzer shorts at an Avett Brothers concert. I like to bring a touch of the runway to campus and track trends every season, between papers and hours in the library of course! XO SJH
Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major