Six Foods to Make You Beautiful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

The average American woman spends roughly seven billion dollars a year on cosmetics and beauty products.  We dedicate so much time and money towards makeup, lotions, and serums that we sometimes forget that what we put into our bodies can also have an effect on our looks. What we eat is actually more important in making us beautiful than any costly treatment or product. Having nice skin, strong nails and shiny hair is as simple as making good food choices on a daily basis. Dose up on these “beauty foods” to get looking your best this summer.

Blueberries
Blueberries contain more antioxidants than almost any other food.  Antioxidants aren’t produced by our bodies, but are important in counterbalancing the environmental damage that harms our skin and hair. Antioxidants keep skin beautiful by neutralizing the free radicals that dry it out. The vitamin C in blueberries also increases the production of collagen, a chemical compound that people pay to have injected into their skin to keep it nice and plump.

Tomatoes
Tomatoes are full of vitamin A, which assists in the development skin cells and helps maintain skin health.  Your pores can get clogged with sebum, and Vitamin A clears that sebum out. Tomatoes also have a high concentration of the antioxidant lycopene, which can help protect your skin from the sun damage.

Celery
Instead of expensive teeth whitening treatments or strips, crunch on a stalk of celery. Celery contains fibrous cellulose, which scrubs away teeth stains as you chew. When you munch on celery, you also help kill the bacteria that cause bad breath.

Salmon
The Omega-3 fats found in salmon reduce inflammation in the body, which leads to softer and smoother skin. On top of being better for your skin texture, salmon can also keep your eyes from being dry, help your hair and nails grow and increase your muscle tone. Not to mention that research shows that omega-3 fatty acids are good for our mood, brain and heart!

Oysters
Oysters, although definitely an acquired taste, are considered one of the best foods for shiny, healthy hair. Their combination of low-fat protein and vitamin B prevents hair from looking dull and dry. Oysters also contain high levels of zinc, which helps prevent against acne and produce collagen. If you’re like me, and oysters aren’t really your thing, try lobster or mussels.

Dark Chocolate
Chocolate has long been considered a major culprit in causing teenage acne. However, according to recent research, chocolate doesn’t cause blemishes. Dark chocolate has actually been shown to help protect skin from sun damage because of its high levels of flavonoids. Flavonoids are antioxidants that have also been shown to aid in improving blood flow to your tissues, which keeps your skin nourished and glowing.

The secret to shiny hair, smooth skin and white teeth can just as easily be found at the grocery store as at any salon or drug store. Try these six foods out to help make you more beautiful than you already are.

Picture Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/26/investigation-finds-fruity-foods-dont-contain-real-fruit/

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.