Culture > News

Round Up of Women Running for United States House of Representatives in North Carolina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Across North Carolina, seven women will appear on the ballot for U.S. House of Representatives. Two women, Virginia Foxx and Alma Adams, are incumbents running to hold their office.

Let’s take a moment to learn more about all of these women and their campaigns to represent North Carolina in Congress!

• Sandy Smith is a Republican running to represent the 1st Congressional District. She has enforcements from U.S. Rep. Mark Walker (R) and the National Association for Gun Rights.
  • Deborah Ross is a Democrat running to represent the 2nd Congressional District. Ross previously served NC District 34 in the North Carolina House of Representatives from 2003 to 2013. In this role she served as a Majority Whip. She resigned from the House in 2013. Outside of her political career Ross is an attorney, business ethics consultant, and senior lecturing fellow.
  • Virginia Foxx is one of the two female incumbents running in North Carolina. Foxx is a Republican running to hold her seat representing the 5th Congressional District. Foxx first won her seat in the U.S. House in 2004. Prior to holding this office she served in the North Carolina State Senate.
  • Kathy Manning is a Democrat running to represent the 6th Congressional District. Prior to running to represent North Carolina in Congress, Manning worked as an attorney and small business owner.
  • Patricia Timmons-Goodson is a Democrat running to represent the 8th Congressional District. Earlier in her career Timmons-Goodson served as a judge on the North Carolina Supreme Court. In April 2016, President Obama nominated her to serve as a federal judge on the US District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. This nomination was returned to President Obama when the 114th Congress adjourned.
  • Cynthia Wallace is a Democrat running to represent the 9th Congressional District. Wallace has a professional background in the financial services industry, with a focus on risk management and compliance with federal financial regulations.
  • Alma Adams is the second women running for re-election in North Carolina. She is a Democrat representing the 12th Congressional District. Adams was initially elected to the U.S. House in a special election in 2014. For 20 years, from 1994 to 2014 Adams represented North Carolina State District 58 in the NC House of Representatives. Prior to her tenure in the NC General Assembly, Adams served as a member of the Greensboro School Board and City Council.

North Carolina has a great field of candidates running in the 2020 election! It is important  to research local races and stay educated about them as well as the Presidential and Senate races!

For information on how to register to vote in NC visit https://www.youcanvote.org/

Hello! I am a freshman at Duke from Hendersonville, NC!
Duke Contributors!