Real Fall Street Style Inspired By Real Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Around this time of year your wardrobe may reach a steady state of monotony. Do you find yourself sifting through the same t-shirts and jeans every day for class and wondering why you have nothing to wear (even though the opposite is most likely true)? Do you marvel at the cute, put-together outfits some girls don seemingly every day? (How do they have time for this??) You shouldn’t feel guilty if your wardrobe easily bores you – You can appreciate the clothes you have on your back while still striving to get creative with them! This week I offer some fresh fall trends inspired by authentic street style, suitable for a college atmosphere. All of these looks come from Chictopia.com, a social platform where real girls post pictures of real-life fashion. This website is great because you can check out other girls’ fashion ideas, save favorites to your account, and contribute your own thoughts.

Leather

Leather is always “in” in the fall and screams independent girl in the big city, but you can try taking it to the next level by incorporating it in your outfits in unexpected ways.

• (Below, left) Leather cuffs add edge to a simple top and jacket and a loud pair of jeans.
  • (Below, right) Everyone knows someone (or is someone) who owns a killer leather jacket, but how about a dark leather vest? This girl pulled it off.

Metal

Cold fall temperatures call for bringing out the cold, shiny metal – I’ve personally never given much thought to metallic accessories and clothing, but these girls seem to be doing something right.

• (Below, left) I absolutely adored the look on the left below: This girl layered over her sweater dress an eye-catching silver metal belt, and the best part is she made it herself!
  • (Below, right) Unless you look closely, you might miss this one – a clutch or purse with metal tips can accent your outfit well.

Leggings

By now you’ve probably become a pro at wearing leggings – they’re convenient to wear with slouchy sweaters, workout clothes, and your boyfriend’s hoodie. If you just love your leggings but are running out of things to pair them with, take a look at these trends.

• (Below, left) They’re leather! And ripped up the sides! – Everything your mother tried to ward you away from. But they just look so good with that red hot tribal sweater!
  • (Below, right) This girl paired dual-toned purple leggings with a pink wrap-around sweater for a super feminine look. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5