NO ON AMENDMENT ONE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

On Friday, February 24th, Duke students traversing across the BC walkway got a surprise – free pizza, voter registration cards and speeches from students and faculty. The intention? To garner Duke support in the fight against Amendment One.

Here are a few quick FAQs:

Q: What is Amendment One?
A: Amendment One would ban same-sex marriage in the North Carolina state constitution. The amendment states: “Constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State.

Q: Can I be registered to vote in NC if I’m already registered in my home state?
A: Yes, as long as you don’t vote in the same election for both states. In other words, you can vote against the Amendment in May and then vote in the presidential race in November in your home state. This is because the Amendment is NC specific. You can find a voter registration form here, which you can then mail in to the county board.

Q: When/where will I vote?
A: Voting takes place on May 8th. Check out this site for more information about poll locations. 

Victoria Scott is a junior and English major at Duke University. On campus, she is an Editor and Photo-blogger for Her Campus, Managing Editor for The Chanticleer (the university yearbook), photographer and Copy Editor for DMIX Magazine, and a Resident Assistant. In her spare time, she enjoys baking cupcakes and playing tennis.
Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.