Nepal’s Tragic Earthquake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

On Saturday, April 25th, an earthquake of a 6.7 magnitude hit Nepal. Here’s what you need to know and how you can help!

Damage:

This earthquake was the worst one to hit Nepal in the last eight eight decades and not only caused a death toll of over 3,000 people (it is predicted that the actual death toll will continue to increase as the rubble gets cleared), but also hurt and killed people in the neighbouring countries.  The earthquake hit densely populated areas of Nepal, including the capital Kathmandu, and not only were homes destroyed, but national monuments, such as a UNESCO monument. People are also stranded on Mount Everest which was hit by an avalanche during the earthquake.

Aid:

Nepal has not only received aid from its neighbouring countries, but USA, UAE, Germany and France have also sent in rescue efforts. Currently its international airport is shut down, so no one can come or go. It is likely that there will be more aid from more nations shortly.

How You Can Help:

Although this earthquake would be equally as devastating had it happened anywhere else, it will be even harder for Nepal to recover as the nation is poverty stricken. There are ways in which you can help by contributing to various organisations efforts, such as UNICEF (which has already begun preparing “two cargo flights with a combined 120 tons of humanitarian supplies including medical and hospital supplies, tents and blankets, for urgent airlift to Kathmandu”), U.N World Food Program (who already has emergency rescue teams in Kathmandu), Oxfam (who is currently sending emergency food, water and sanitation supplies to Nepal) and Doctors Without Borders (who is sending emergency surgical teams).