My Semester (Not) Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

As I sat this past Sunday afternoon reading a book under the shade of a swinging bench in the courtyard outside my Kilgo dorm, I was distracted by the sound of the Duke Chapel’s majestic bells and the sight of the surrounding Gothic architecture fully adorned with gargoyles and greenery.  I couldn’t help but think—this is what college should be.  How lucky we are as Duke students to live and study at such a place! The seemingly unsurpassed beauty of this campus can go unnoticed all too often. However, I find myself admiring it every day. After living on East and Central campuses, this semester I am finally able to call West Campus home.  I have found myself embracing the unfamiliar opportunities I have encountered, realizing potential for self-growth. So while I may not be perusing the sites of Prague or strolling along the Seine, I am enjoying this semester not abroad for all of the exciting changes and new opportunities it has presented to me.

Fall semester is my favorite time at Duke.  Somehow the Gothic design of the campus seems even more impressive in the autumnal setting, as though it is complemented by the scenery that fall and winter create.  Of course it is not quite the same as studying at the castles of St. Andrew’s, but Duke’s fortress comes pretty close.  Living on West Campus, I finally feel that I am living the true Duke experience, and the opportunities that have been presented to me have distinguished the past few months as unforgettable.

Walking along the stone paths lined with trees, cheering on the Blue Devils at Saturday football games, or spending evenings on the plaza with friends, I find myself taking more time for myself this semester.  Classes are as difficult as ever, but I have found renewed enthusiasm in pursuing the full college experience.  Work will get done—somehow it always does—but I have realized this semester that my time here is limited and that those few extra hours spent with friends  are far more valuable to my individual growth than a few extra hours spent in the library.

With a large portion of my class abroad, I have taken the opportunity to enhance my friendships with those friends who have stayed on campus with me.  Though I didn’t think it was possible, I have grown even closer to these friends while meeting new ones as well.  By the time college students have reached junior year, many may fall victim to the idea that they are settled in.  They have found their niche and need not keep looking.  I believe, though, that there is no such thing as too many friends, and when I’m surrounded by such astounding individuals, how could I resist befriending as many of them as possible?  Sometimes I am struck by the realization that there are so many motivated, inspiring students at this school who I may never be lucky enough to know; these past few months have allowed me to develop relationships that are so incredible I wonder how I ever lacked them in my life. Certainly I miss my friends who are abroad every day, but distance only makes the heart grow fonder, right?  I learn about myself each day through the inspiring people who surround me, and I see qualities in them I strive to embody myself.  So when this semester of opportunities for growth ends and the junior class is finally reunited, I am confident that I will have grown as an individual through the amazing friendships I have maintained and the new ones I have made.

I realize the incredible benefits of studying abroad and have been fortunate enough to have experienced them for myself two summers ago. And while Duke’s quaint Oktoberfest celebration was enjoyable, I know it was not quite on the level of Munich’s apparently magical event.  Nevertheless, I do not regret my decision to stay on campus this semester in the slightest.  I find myself being more adventurous this semester and welcoming any and all unfamiliar experiences.  I have been eagerly exploring Durham, going to concerts, and gradually crossing items off my obligatory Duke bucket-list.  But more importantly than crossing things off yet another list of things to do, I have been living in the moment—relishing every unique occurrence and thrilling adventure. Truthfully, we only have eight semesters here, and this one has been invaluable.  I have been challenged to adapt to living in a new environment, to make new friends while becoming closer to old ones, and to grow as an individual.  If you ask me, aren’t these some of the main objectives of studying abroad?  So to anyone who is still debating the dilemma and asking yourself, “should I stay or should I go?”, know that you are confronted with two incredible opportunities for self-awareness and improvement.  Either choice you make, I am confident you will find happiness as long as you commit yourself to the present moment—the here and now—but remember that a semester spent not abroad can be just as valuable and just as life-changing. 

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major