This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

No description of Italy is complete without the word beautiful. Beauty defines almost every aspect of life in Italy, including the language, the cuisine, the breathtaking landscape, and the world famous artwork. Beauty is so integral to Italian culture that it even defines the name for their way of life: bella figura.

Though this phrase literally translates to “beautiful figure”, it stands for an Italian code of conduct for how people should present themselves to the world. Besides beauty, it emphasizes composure, loyalty, and grace as hallmarks of proper behavior. As an American student trying to fit in in here, I have tried to learn all I can about this concept so that I can avoid (or at least minimize) any future cultural faux pas.

My first understanding of bella figura was in relation to my wardrobe. While I am accustomed to wearing running shorts and leggings at least twice a week, the locals will almost never wear such athletic clothes in public. Italian women are always well put together, so I have had to pay far more attention to my appearance than usual just to avoid looking like a slob in comparison. It has been a bit of an adjustment for me to wear coordinated outfits every day, and I was a little bitter about this change at first. I missed my cozy, easy, Duke look. But after a couple of weeks, I realized that dressing well made me stand up straighter, walk with more confidence, and feel more in control of my life. Part of the reason Italian women appear so beautiful is the way they carry themselves, which may be a result of the confidence that comes from knowing that they look their best.

I later learned how bella figura also relates to conduct. The way Italians drink is a clear example of this aspect. While Italy may be famous for its wine, I have yet to see a group of drunken Italians. Instead, I have seen Italians shaking their heads at intoxicated American students. Publicly losing control is the antithesis of bella figura. I have always known that drinking to get drunk is unhealthy and that college students will too often drink to excess, but I never realized just how embarrassing the drinking habits of American college students really are until I came to Italy.

In my own life, I equate bella figura with taking ownership of what I say, how I dress, and what I do. I might never see some of the people I encounter in Rome ever again, but I still want to present myself as someone who is in control whenever I am out at the bars. My Italian class may be pass/fail, but I want to present myself as someone who works hard and cares about school. Bella figura means taking responsibility for how I present myself to the world, and I hope that doing so will become second nature by the end of the semester.

Image Source: 1