Internship Attire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Congrats! You’ve secured a summer internship. Now comes the fun part – shopping! If you’re like me, then you probably don’t have a lot of appropriate clothes for the business world. You may not even be sure what is  appropriate. But no worries – HC Duke is here to help.

Heels:
Heels make us feel sexy and confident. But feeling sexy may not be for the best for your summer internship. To be safe, wear heels around 2.5-3 inches. Also, I’m sure you do not want to be running around 8 hours a day in heels (I can barely keep them on for one night of Shooters). Opt for a smaller heel and save those sexy five-inch heels for after work.

The Classic Black Heel

$70

These will match nearly every one of your outfits. The heel is about 2.25 inches – short enough so you aren’t sending the wrong message, but still giving you that boost to help you feel confident.  

The “I Have Some Flair” Shoe

$89.90

These shoes are great if you want to add some personality to your outfit.  Pair them with some black slacks and a white blouse to remind your employer that you can be serious but still have some fun. These have a heel about 3 inches high.

The “In-Between” Shoe

$79

Maybe you want to stay on the safe side in terms of color, but don’t want to stick to the standard black heel. Try these out. They’ve got just a hint of navy so you don’t feel too drab in your outfit, and have a 2.75-inch high heel.

Dresses

I LOVE dresses. When the sun comes out for spring, so do all of my dresses. They make me feel pretty and fun, while still keeping me cool under the hot sun. Maybe your summer internship doesn’t require you to stay outside for hours on end, but wearing a dress might make your morning transport much easier. Also, who doesn’t like feeling pretty? Just be very cautious.

There are three things to watch out for – length, coverage, tightness. I feel like your boss is kind of like your professor in that they both do not want to see your chest or butt (If they do, you may want to review the sexual harassment policy…). Don’t forget those shoulders either! Cover your body up for work but, just like those five-inch heels, feel free to unleash them when the clock strikes six.

Here are some work appropriate dresses:

The Pleated Shirt Dress

$128

Pair this with a belt and you’ll look fantastic on that hot summer day. There’s also elasticized smocking at each side so you’ll still have some shape. Just be careful with the v-neck cut. If the cut is too low for you, try wearing a cami under it! Also FYI, the dress tends to run larger so make sure to get a size smaller.

The Sleeve Jersey Dress

$158

Want a more modern look? Try this dress out! It will definitely give you shape with the sash tie at the waist. Just make sure that it doesn’t hug too close to your body. Like the Pleated Shirt Dress, be careful of the V-neck.

The Colorblocked Zippered Dress

$24.80

Maybe you’re on a budget and can’t drop 100 dollars or more on an outfit for work? This may be the dress for you. Paired with a cardigan, this outfit will give you a professional look without the worries of whether or not your shirt is still tucked in.

Tops

Just like with dresses, you’ll want to make sure that you aren’t baring too much. Here are some tops that’ll make sure you’re good to go:

The Polka Dot Top

$33.90

Polka dots add a nice feminine touch so try this top out. The shirt is sold in two different versions – ivory/navy or green/black. You could also wear this top to class!

The Silk Shirt

$88

Generally, you need to be careful about wearing bright colors to work, but I love this top too much to not include it. Try pairing it with a blazer to tone it down or maybe you’ll have casual Friday!

Again, congrats on getting a summer internship! I hope that these clothing items gave you a better idea of how to mix “work clothing etiquette” with staying fashionable. Jobs do vary so maybe your attire is more relaxed or even more strict. Just use your best judgment! Happy shopping!

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.