Inside the Head of a Duke Line Monitor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

They are the epitome of the Cameron Crazie. You’ve seen them out there in their emblematic blue jackets and their spiffy clipboards reigning over the Kingdom of
K-Ville, but have you ever wondered what it takes to be one? Elysia Pan, current line monitor in her Junior Year at Duke, fills us in….

When did you know you wanted to be a line monitor?
I loved my tenting experience freshman year and when I saw the opportunity to apply I thought, “Why not give it a shot?” Coming to Duke I really pushed myself to apply and take advantage of everything and this was definitely one of those moments.

What are the requisites for being a line monitor?
It’s a no brainer that you need to have tented. You can’t create proper policy or relate to tenters if you have never been out there. We are mostly looking for a good mix of kids who are knowledgeable about stats and history, but also just extremely energetic and full of school spirit.

What does being a Cameron Crazie mean to you?
Passion and all out school spirit. There is NO experience that rivals going into Cameron for the Carolina game and having your fellow peers cheering and supporting one cause with you. This is what makes Duke special. Other schools have great academics and sports, but do they gel as a community this often? The defining Duke spirit that is consistently found in Cameron is very rare compared to other schools.

What has been your favorite Duke Basketball memory?
I was lucky enough to be a freshman when we won the National Championship. Enough said.

What is one of the crazier things you have seen while line monitoring?
Brandon Semel, another line monitors, LOVES lemurs. He works at the Lemur Center and even went to abroad Madagascar over fall to study them! One of the line monitor’s jobs is to make sure that people who weren’t in K-Ville when a Personal Check was called don’t sneak in, and last year we convinced him it would be a brilliant idea to climb a tree to scout them out. We have a great picture where he is about 20 feet up and his eyes are glowing because of the flash and he looks exactly like a lemur!

Funniest K-Ville memory?
One day I went to switch out with a friend for a day shift and when I got there the tent flap had been zipped most of the way but there were two huge feet sticking out. My friend Chris, who I was switching out with, had decided to take a nap but he was too lazy to take his shoes off!

Do you get to know the players better?
We don’t become best friends with them per se, but a lot of them know who we are and we have some great opportunities to hang out with them. In past years, players have visited the tent that matches the number they sport on the back of their jersey which is really cool. And you always see them during Personal Checks making rounds.

What’s the coolest interaction you ever had with a player?
This season, there was a game where a player on the opposing team blatantly fouled Andre Dawkins right in front of the line monitor section and one of us yelled, “That was ridiculous!” and Andre looked right at us in the middle of the game and just said, “Yeah! Right?!”

What is you favorite part of being a line monitor?
I love Cameron and I love K-Ville. I’m lucky I get to be so active in going and participating. Being there refreshes my day. Every home game has such an injection of school spirit, intense devotion, and happiness!

What is the line-monitor group dynamic like?
It’s another incredible friend group I have on campus that I wouldn’t have been able to meet in any other way. One of our traditions is that we always go to the Dillo after every home game… and we always get queso!

What are you most excited for in the upcoming UNC game?
Other than the actual game itself, we are lucky enough that ESPN hosts College Game Day. They truly BRING IT when they come to campus- tons of cools stuff and activities. I also love the Coach K talk. He has such an inspirational mentality and he sees the Cameron Crazies as family, as an extension of his team!

Photo Credit: http://dukegroups.duke.edu/kville/line-monitors/

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).