Name: Yihan Shi
Hometown: Shanghai, China
1. If you could pick, what superpower would you have?
I would like to read the emotions of people surrounding me.
2. Why did you decide to come to Duke?
A random decision: I didn’t want to stay in New England for college, so I applied to Duke.
3. What are some of the things you do outside of class?
I play music, a lot of music…and I travel.
4. What groups are you involved in at Duke?
I’m in the Chamber Music Group (Our name is Beet Oven because we are playing a Beethoven piece), International Association, and a band.
5. What’s your favorite season, and why?
My favorite season is spring because that means the school year is going to end!
6. Who has been your biggest influence/inspiration?
My roommate during junior year. We explored the forest around our high school!
7. What would an ideal day look like for you?
I would get brunch with my friends, go to a place where I can see trees, sunshine, and squirrels, and read books.
8. What’s an event in your life that made you the person you are today?
When I came to the United States.
9. What’s your strange addiction?
10. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Doing research in neuroscience somewhere in the world.
11. What risks are worth taking?
Anything that might not make me actually lose my life!
12. What has been the best thing about your Duke experience so far?
My best experience has been just walking around West campus and watching squirrels chasing each other.
13. Favorite color? Why?
Blue, since I find it calming and relaxing.