individual being profiled
individual being profiled
Humans of Duke

Humans of Duke: Sujeiry Jimenez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name:  Sujeiry Jimenez

Year: 2020

Major: Public Policy, Global Health Minor, and Human Rights Certificate

Hometown: Verona, Missouri

Who has been your biggest influence/inspiration?

The women in my family. Coming from a Latinx background, women are often made to be the subordinate and obedient sex. My family, however is composed of many strong, independent women who have gotten through many hardships on their own. Through their influence and upbringing, I was always taught that I was the sole owner of my autonomy, that no one gets to tell me what I should/should not do.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I see myself graduated from Duke, and hopefully finished with graduate school. In 5 years I want to be working on making health policy more accessible and inclusive; to design effective systems that create wide-ranging change, and lead to equity in health across all populations. I want to bridge the gap in access to health resources between rural and urban communities. Ultimately being able to create a health care system that is both sustainable and economically accessible to every single person in the United States no matter their legal or socioeconomic status.

What’s your weirdest quirk?

Whenever I’m driving at night, and I can’t see something; I’ll turn down the music as if that is going to help me see better…

Who would star in the movie about your life?

The person who would star as me in a movie about my life would be Maite Perroni. She is a Mexican actress, who seems like she could portray all aspects of my personality.

What has been the best thing about your Duke experience so far? Worst?

The best thing I have gotten from Duke is all the amazing people I have had the opportunity to meet. All of the badass, unapologetic student activists I have meet, who are constantly sacrificing their time and effort attempting improve Duke for future students. On the other side, the worst thing about Duke is the clear disproportion of privilege among students, and the horrific acts of hate that have occurred across campus time and time again.  

What technological advance are you looking forward to in the next 50 years?

This is a long shot, but teleportation. Honestly, who wouldn’t like that? Driving home is not the move, and flying it too expensive.

If you were famous, what would it be for?

I would like to think that I would be famous for helping create and implement a universal healthcare system in the United States. However, it would most likely be for an embarrassing video of me being posted online by my friends.

What’s your secret talent?

Memorizing songs after hearing them only a few times.

Why did you decide Duke?

I decided on Duke after LSRW, because of the inspiring people I meet while at Duke. I knew that there was a lot of work to do at Duke, and this was proved right when I saw the Allen building protest. I wanted to be a part of change.

What is it like to be Latinx on Duke’s campus today?

For me, it is being in a constant state of consciousness. It’s a challenge. It’s not easy being a minority at a predominately white institution (PWI). Here I am constantly reminded of how I am different from the typical Duke student, and how I do not fit in the mold.

What are some of the things you do outside of class?

Outside of class, I am involved with various other organizations on campus. I am currently Co-President of Mi Gente, the official Latinx organization on campus. Apart from that I am also involved in Duke Student Government, David M. Rubenstein Scholars Program, Duke LIFE, Round Table, and Lambda Theta Alpha.

If you inherited $100 billion today, what’s the first thing you would invest it in?

I would invest it in protecting indigenous lands along the border that are being cut in half because of a man-made border that has no care about the people that existed on that land before the colonization of the United States.

What’s your strange addiction?

I love gum, I’ll have a pack on me at all times.

What’s your favorite smell?

My favorite smell would the smell of rain in the desert.

What risks are worth taking?

The ones that involve your happiness

I am currently a senior at Duke University studying Mechanical Engineering and this is my third year writing for Her Campus and second year acting as Co-Campus Correspondent. I hope to continue being an active member of the Her Campus community as I grow as a writer and find my voice.