A photo of sophomore Mary Howard taken outdoors.
Original photo by Sophia Cetina
Life > Experiences

Humans of Duke: Mary Elizabeth Howard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Mary Elizabeth Howard

Year: 2023

Major: Chemistry or Psychology 

Hometown: Greensboro, NC

1. If you could pick, what superpower would you have? Or which superhero would you be?

If I could really pick, I’d pick all of them. However, that is an annoying answer so I’d pick mind control/mind reading. 

2. Why did you decide to come to Duke? 

It had always been the goal to at least get in, even if I did not go because my mom went here. I’d always been kind of sure I was going here until junior year when I realized that people were way more sure about where they wanted to go than me and I did not think I would go here. When I visited and stayed in Brown during Black Student Alliance Invitational, I found myself calling my host’s room home. That’s when I knew I belonged here.

3. What has been the best thing about your Duke experience so far? Worst? 

The best thing about Duke is having more freedom in classes and how to spend your time. I’ve spent so much more time with my friends here than I ever did at home. The worst thing about Duke and college, in general, is that there is no place to be truly alone where no one can bother you.

4. If you were famous, what would it be for? 

I would be famous for writing a romance novel and having it turned into a crappy movie that I never got any say in.

5. What’s your favorite season, and why?

I do not really consider myself as having anything but a favorite color and number. I have favorites of the moment instead. I like all the seasons for different reasons but right now I like fall because the colors are so pretty and there are both cool and warm days so I can wear shorts and boots in the same month.

6. What would an ideal day look like for you?

Taking a 3 hour nap, reading my romance novels, eating macarons and Zoe’s Kitchen and watching TV shows. 

7. What’s your strange addiction? 

Reading romance novels. I never read anything but romance unless it’s for class. I really need to branch out.

8. What risks are worth taking? 

I feel like you never know if a risk is worth taking until you take it. I feel like taking more risks is more rewarding than being afraid of everything because regret eats away more than risking something. I feel like if you really care about the results risking is better than regretting.

9. Favorite color? Why?

My favorite color is green. I do not really know why but if I had to make up something I would say because it represents nature and combined with my parents’ favorite colors we make up the cool colors. The color is also very soothing and comforting to me.

10. If you had a theme song, what would it be? 

This is a very difficult question because I feel like the emotions of my life fit so many different songs but for the majority of my life I feel like the song “Last Text” by Jake Miller encompasses my feelings.

11. If you could shop for free at one store, which one would you pick?

I would pick Target but only if using the online store counted as well because the stores do not have all that I want. They always are missing the books I want and clothes I want. If online Target does not count, I would pick Barnes and Noble. On second thought, Barnes and Noble is my first choice.