This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Hi, I’m Anna, and I’m proud retired barista and caffeine addict.

via: Giphy

While the first step to overcoming addiction is admitting the problem, I have no intention or willpower to quit anytime soon. However, I’m a freshman on the lovely Duke freshmen meal plan, meaning my daily dose of an iced vietnamese latte has decimated my food points (proud $39.97!!). Here are my tips (with the help from some other caffeine fiends) on how to ball on a budget:

Mornings

via: Giphy

Make your coffee in your dorm room. I use my Keurig, which I know not everyone has. But my roommate and I also use a french press, which you can get for about $10 on amazon. If I have the time, I’ll make it in a mug and wake up while I do my makeup, but a travel mug is a good investment if you have 8:30 AM classes.

Afternoons

via: Giphy

There’s a couple techniques to implement here:

1. Reusable Cup + ABP Refill Combo (Harris Teeter Starbucks sells reusable clear cups for $3)

2. 2nd Floor Gross Hall has free coffee!! It’s located in the SSRI (Social Science Research Institute)

3. Look for free coffee events on campus like Ruby Tuesdays

4. (you didn’t hear this from me, but you can forge the Vondy punch cards to redeem a free drink…)

Night

via: Giphy 

I know, I know, I sometimes have a night coffee. If you’re a freak like me, I usually go to Trinity Cafe to redeem equivalency on an iced coffee. I feel better about myself by only drinking half and saving the other half for the morning. A nice decaf (or non-decaf) cup from the Keurig is a good way to end the day too.

Cheers fellow addicts, drink responsibly, R.I.B (rest in bean)

via: Giphy 

Anna Markey is a first-year student and first-time writer for Her Campus. She's interested in studying Political Science and is passionate about human rights, advocacy, and coffee.
I am a senior at Duke University, majoring in art history and minoring in political science and psychology. Outside of class, I love traveling, watching films and writing. I'm excited to be Duke's campus correspondent this upcoming school year!