Holiday Events in Durham You Don’t Wanna Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Stressed about finals? Have to stay on campus until the last possible testing day? With all the craziness of exams, it’s easy to lose your holiday-season vibes. So, to get in the Christmas spirit and to get away from the pressures of campus for a little while, here are ten Durham holiday events taking place in the next few weeks to help you pop the Duke bubble:

December 3rd-January 2nd:  Christmas Tree Challenge; American Tobacco District:

For this free charity event, seventy-five Christmas trees have been decorated all throughout the American Tobacco District. Each tree has been decked by a non-profit or their private-sector supporters, thematically representing the cause they support. Onlookers can text in a vote for their favorite trees, and those that win will receive a monetary donation to their charities.

November 4th- January 4th: 3rd Annual Holiday Art & Craft Invitational; Duke Hospital:

Located in the concourse between the Duke Medicine Pavilion and Duke Hospital North, this exhibit features over two hundred handmade works by artists from North Carolina. At affordable prices, all artwork will be available for purchase on December 7th and 14th.

December 1st-December 21st: Santa Train; North Carolina Museum of Life and Science:

Though maybe geared towards a younger audience, no one could be too old to enjoy the comprehensive holiday experience of the Santa Train. Aside from riding through thousands of shining lights on a voyage to meet Santa, Santa Train also includes holiday crafts, complimentary hot chocolate, and an ice-skating rink.

December 9th: Merge Under the Mistletoe; Motorco Music Hall:

Starting at 6 PM and ending at 10 PM, this holiday dance party is to benefit Food Bank CENC and Habitat for Humanity. Featuring DJ Bug Spray and DJ twinjet, the event will also include a photo booth. Although entrance is free, there will be door prizes for those who bring donations or canned goods.

December 10th: Durham Holiday Parade; Main St:

This free parade will kick off at 10 AM on December 10th. Making its way through downtown Durham, the procession will feature colorful floats, community groups, schools and hometown bands. Attending would be a great way to show off your Durham pride!

December 10th: Nifty Gifty; The Scrap Exchange:

Starting at 10 AM, The Scrap Exchange is hosting an afternoon of gift craft making. With all tools and materials provided, participants can visit multiple craft stations to learn how to make holiday gifts, including mini yarn wreaths and braided fabric necklaces.

December 11th: Durham Craft Market Holiday Show; Durham Convention Center:

Running from 11 AM to 4 PM, this holiday market is a great source of unique gifts for family and friends. The show will feature local handmade goods of all varieties.

December 11th: Holiday Patchwork Market; Durham Armory:

A special event version of the monthly Patchwork Market, this event will provide one-of-a-kind holiday gifts. Featuring vintage and handmade vendors, objects sold are of high quality and a variety of prices.

December 12th- 15th, 19th-22nd: “A Trailer Park Christmas”; Common Ground Theatre:

This interactive holiday show follows the tribulations of a West Durham family during a crazy Christmastime. Although student tickets are a little pricey at $17, this is sure to be a unique holiday show you won’t want to miss.

December 17th: A Celestial Christmas; The Carolina Theatre:

In this performance by Voices, one of the Triangle’s oldest and most distinguished choral groups, its 130 members will celebrate the holiday season by incorporating many forms of Christmas music.

I am a senior at Duke University, majoring in art history and minoring in political science and psychology. Outside of class, I love traveling, watching films and writing. I'm excited to be Duke's campus correspondent this upcoming school year!