This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

kThat exciting first-day-of-school feeling when you start a new academic year with new opportunities, new classmates, and (if you’re lucky) a new wardrobe has come and gone. Maybe some of your eyeliner has worn down a bit and you’re starting to tire of your go-to makeup, whether that is a dab of lip gloss or a full routine. When you are already starting to feel burnt out in the classroom, you can avoid feeling that way outside of school as well – here are some ways you can update your fall makeup.

Revamp your color palette
– I personally have a few standard eye shadow hues I wear most frequently – these range from off-white to light pink to charcoal, if I’m feeling daring. If you, like me, are starting to feel like your makeup routine has become mindless, an easy solution is to swap out your usual color scheme for interesting, fall-appropriate ones. Allure recommends mauve, black cherry, and fiery red. For other ideas, draw inspiration from Mother Nature’s color changes. Maybe you’ll find a penchant for gold-flecked lip gloss or dark green eye shadow.

Change up your technique – A common sentiment I hear murmured among
women on campus is that they feel as if they don’t have any ideas for how to apply their makeup. If you’ve never tried it before, a simple technique you might like in applying your eye liner is to wing the edges of it over your top lid. Winged eyeliner can give you that sexy, feline look just in time for Halloween. Or if you want to mimic nature’s effect on the flush of your cheeks, try deepening your blush.

Be adventurous – Halloween is perhaps the one time of year in college where anything goes in terms of style! You won’t be condemned (too severely) for trying something totally wacky (hey, that guy dressed as a keg will always look sillier
than you.). Use this as your opportunity to experiment with makeup! Dare to try false lashes or apply some rhinestones around your eyes. I found a solid tutorial for doing the latter on Merci Makeup Design’s blog.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).