Five Duke Resources You Should Take Advantage of…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

You’ve likely heard of the Women’s Center, and you’ve probably seen CAPS posters on the C-1. But do you really know what they offer, or why you should visit them? Here are five Duke resources that you might find useful. Take advantage of the free services offered on campus. Some of them might surprise you!

1. Women’s Center

Some people know of the Women’s Center as the place to go if they’ve been sexually assaulted. This is, of course, a very important service offered at the center, and if you’ve been sexually assaulted, you can call the Women’s Center for crisis support. Also, Sheila Broderick, a clinical social worker, provides counseling for students of both genders in issues including sexual and relationship violence (these services are also available to women who just want/need to talk to someone, even if they aren’t sure about whether they will report the incident). 

However, there is so much more to the Women’s Center than just that. They advise WMN, Women’s Mentoring Network, which links female freshmen with upperclassmen mentors and hosts dinners, movie nights, and other fun activities. They have student-facilitated P.A.C.T. training at the center, to educate students on being active bystanders if they witness sexual and relationship violence. Also, for any women who can’t make it home for break, they even host an Alternative Fall Break trip to Florida, where students can volunteer with immigrant communities and gain a valuable experience in service-learning. Stop by the center (it’s in Few Quad, right next to the bus stop) and learn more about all that they offer!

2. Nutritionists at Wilson & The Oasis

It’s hard not to order mozzarella sticks every time you visit the Loop (speaking from experience). Sometimes, it’s even harder not to scarf down the contents of the Link’s vending machines when you’ve practically moved into Perkins during reading period. However, if you have persistent issues with food, consider making a FREE appointment with trained nutritionists on Duke’s campus. They can design an individualized food plan for you, to help you reach and maintain a healthy weight, lower your cholesterol, or just eat better overall. Meeting with a nutritionist for a free consultation is most definitely on my Duke bucket list – consider adding it to yours too.

*Please note, though, if you think that you might have an eating disorder, consider visiting CAPS and meeting with someone from their Eating and Body Image Concerns (EBIC) team. They can assess your eating habits and get you immediate intervention if needed. But if you aren’t sure that you need to go to CAPS, you can take an anonymous eating disorders screening here. It isn’t a substitute for an assessment of your eating habits, but it might be the push you need to seek help.

3.     CAPS

The name Counseling And Psychological Services speaks for itself, with individual and group counseling for problems with stress, self-esteem, interpersonal relationships. However, CAPS also offers a variety of other services, training programs, and wellness workshops. I attended a four-week Worrying Well workshop and learned valuable skills in decreasing my anxiety and practicing mindfulness meditation. They have classes in emotional fitness and yoga too – go here to check out their many offerings, and register for a class. I’m sure you will find something that appeals to you. If you want to meet with a CAPS counselor, just make an appointment and visit them in Page Auditorium. 

4.     Career Center

With all of the pre-med, pre-law, pre-[fill-in-the-blank] offerings on campus, if you’re like me and you don’t have a post-college game plan yet, you can feel way behind the curve. Even if you do have your sights set on a graduate/professional school, you might be unsure about whether your resume is up to snuff. Well, this is where the Career Center can come in handy. You can stop by Smith Warehouse for Drop-In Advising to get feedback on your resume, cover letter, and any other document before you send it to your (fingers crossed) future employer or school. No need to make an appointment – just go when you have an extra 15 minutes to spare (check their hours online)! If you already have a post-grad game plan, you can still meet with someone to get a little more guidance on career/internship possibilities and opportunities.

But maybe you’re like me, and you still have no idea where you’re headed once you have your diploma in hand. In that case, here’s what I would recommend: (1.) Call CAPS and schedule an appointment with a career counselor. You’ll get to take a few online tests to determine your interests and strengths, and you’ll meet with a counselor to go over your results. THEN, once you have a better idea of where your skills might serve you well,  (2.) make an appointment with someone from the Career Center. When you combine these resources, you’ll be able to figure out just what you want to do once you leave this Gothic wonderland.

5.     Peer for You

Sometimes, though, you’re struggling and you don’t want to talk to a counselor or an advisor. You just want another Duke student who knows exactly what you’re going through and who will listen with empathetic and non-judgmental ears. Well, my friends, this is where Peer for You comes in. It’s a simple process: send an anonymous message to one of the CAPS-trained students, detailing whatever struggle or challenge you’re facing, wait less than 24 hours for a response, and have a dialogue about it to work out a solution. The anonymity means that any notions of effortless perfection that might keep you from seeking help face-to-face won’t hold you back. Go ahead, talk to a Peer Responder. They’re here for you, and they want to listen.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Victoria Scott is a junior and English major at Duke University. On campus, she is an Editor and Photo-blogger for Her Campus, Managing Editor for The Chanticleer (the university yearbook), photographer and Copy Editor for DMIX Magazine, and a Resident Assistant. In her spare time, she enjoys baking cupcakes and playing tennis.
Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).