Career

Fellowship Program in Washington D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Fellowship Program: 2014-2016 Job Description

From the U.S. Congress down to city halls, everywhere important decisions are being made, powerful interests are pushing for laws and policies that are not in line with the public interest. As a U.S. PIRG fellow, you will stand up to powerful interests like Wall Street lobbyists and pharmaceutical companies as you work to win concrete results for consumers. You’ll work closely with experienced advocates and organizers, and you’ll learn to make the case for reform through targeted research, coalition building, outreach to citizen activists and the media, and direct lobbying of decision-makers.

As a fellow, you might work on transportation, food safety, government aid to education, toxic pollution cleanup, money in politics, voting reform and more. Through the course of the two-year fellowship, you will get the skills, experience and training necessary to be a leader in the social change movement. 

Responsibilities include:

• Developing issue expertise through research and report writing
  • Planning campaigns and developing strategies to win
  • Building and demonstrating public support through media events and by working with activists and like-minded organizations
  • Making the case to decision-makers in one-on-one meetings and through legislative testimony
  • Building your program through fundraising
  • Building the organization by canvassing for portions of the year, in addition to running a citizen outreach office in the summer months

Qualifications:

• Strong work ethic
  • Outstanding verbal and written communication
  • Proven leadership skills
  • Strong commitment to getting results
  • Passion for social change
  • We value experience with campus groups or student government and academic achievement

Training & Experience

Fellows participate in regional and national trainings throughout the year.  Training includes fieldwork with experienced U.S. PIRG staff and a classroom training of lectures, briefings, discussions and role-plays. Throughout the year you gain valuable skills and hands-on experience.

Salary & Benefits

In an entry level position, you will earn $24,500 over the course of your first year with U.S. PIRG. Salary for experienced candidates is commensurate with relevant professional experience. In addition, full-time staff can opt in to our state health care coverage, are eligible for paid sick days and vacation days, can apply for our college loan assistance program, and are also eligible to join our 401(k) program in their second year.

Find out more

Watch profiles of our staff and find out more information at JOBS.uspirg.org.  If you have any questions you can contact Sarah Mitnick, U.S.PIRG Recruitment Director at 617-747-4370 or jobs@uspirg.org.

How To Apply

Apply online at uspirg.org/apply

Jaimie Woo, a Duke alum, will also be conducting on-campus interviews during Duke’s Non-Profit/Government career fair on Oct. 17-18th. If you have any questions, please contact her at 407-488-7734 or jwoo@pirg.org.

U.S. PIRG and all PIRG-affiliated organizations are equal opportunity employers and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or veteran status.

Duke Contributors!