Don’t Rain on My Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

With the first few rainy days of the school year already past, it’s easy to let the gloomy weather bring you down—especially with midterms around the corner. But just because the sky is drab doesn’t mean your fashion has to be. Here are a few accessories to keep you bright—and dry—even as the worst storms hit campus.

1. Umbrellas

Cheer up a dreary day with a reminder of your favorite pet. Featuring many different breeds of dogs—and even a few cats and horses—the San Francisco Umbrella Company’s prints pay homage to your furry friends back home.

Make up for the colorlessness of the sky by showcasing an especially artistic umbrella. Having your favorite works of art on your umbrella shows you’re not only fashionable, but also cultured.

If you’re from Washington D.C.—or just really enjoy the city—this umbrella is a unique way to show your love for the nation’s capital (or public transit). It could also be useful if you ever happen to get lost on your way to a Smithsonian.

2. Rain Boots

In a variety of colors and designs, these rain boots by Sakroots can complete any rainy say ensemble—and the floral designs will remind you of sunnier days.

These rain boots don’t even look like rain boots—they’ll keep your feet feeling dry without the big, clunky plastic sacrificing your style.

As NFL games start right near the end of the summer rainy season, a gloomy day is the perfect excuse to show support for your favorite team.

3. Rain Jackets

This jacket is the opposite of drab. Its unique, holographic look brings a science-fiction look to otherwise dull days.

Whether you’re from England or just love London, this coat is a cute tribute to a city that’s just as rainy Durham.

Light and simple, this raincoat seems more at home in sunny spring days than under rainy clouds. 

Don’t let the dreary Durham weather rain on your parade. Use it as an excuse to spice up your wardrobe! 

I am a senior at Duke University, majoring in art history and minoring in political science and psychology. Outside of class, I love traveling, watching films and writing. I'm excited to be Duke's campus correspondent this upcoming school year!