Welcome to College: Land of the Free and Home of the Theme Party.
If you’re anything like me, you spend more time planning out your outfit for these theme parties than you spend actually at them (#sorrynotsorry). With the upcoming presidential election, people are feeling more patriotic than ever. What better way to celebrate American pride than with an America themed party? Recently, I took this opportunity to put one of my Pinterest projects to the test – and the end result was red (white, and blue) hot!
Follow this tutorial to whip up some super cute American flag swag in no time!
What You Need:
Red/White/Blue Fabric Paint or Acrylic Paint
- Decide how many stripes you want to make and tape them off. Make sure you tape over everything you don’t want to get painted (pockets, belt loops, zipper). For a twist, try horizontal stripes!
- Fill in the stripes completely with white paint– two or more coats might be needed. Put a piece of cardboard inside the shorts to prevent the paint from bleeding through.
- Once the white stripes are dry, remove the tape and fill in the red stripes.
- Tape the opposite pockets and belt loops and paint the blue background on the right leg.
- Tackling the stars can be a little tricky, so take advantage of a stencil here! Be sure to tape down the edges well so the stars will be crisp and well defined.
- If you’re feeling particularly patriotic, decorate the back pockets!
- Pair them with Durham Goodwill’s finest American flag scrubs and you’re ready to paint the town red, white, and blue!