This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Think southern hospitality is a thing of the past? Dean Wilson proves otherwise.
Reigning over the pre-law department, serving as a senior associate dean of Trinity College and teaching in the History department, Wilson integrates his passions for American history and religion with inspirational zeal and a disarming wit. His deeply personal investment in his students keeps Wilson a campus celebrity year after year.

You wear many hats on campus: teacher, dean, pre-law advisor, mentor. How do you balance your roles?

It is something of a juggling act, but many of my different roles overlap. I teach many of the students whom I advise for pre-law. This way I also get to know many of them on a personal level as their advisor.

You have been at Duke for many years- lucky us! What has been one of your favorite aspects of your time here?

I have been at Duke for 53 years. I first arrived as a Divinity student in 1958, then started working part time as an RA—in those days we called them “house students”—before I entered work in the Dean’s office. Always, my favorite aspect of my time here has been working with Duke students.

What was your own educational experience like?

I grew up in Winston-Salem, NC. I studied religion at Davidson before my time spent at the Duke Divinity School. I also received my masters at Chapel Hill. Both my education and teaching reflect my interests in religion and American studies. I am very lucky—my teaching enables me to integrate my own interests into my work.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I love to read. My wife Ginger and I also love to travel. We enjoy touring different historical sites across Europe and America when we can.

How have you seen students change over the years?

I have noticed two major changes in students: first, students generally speaking know a lot more nowadays! Electronics has made this possible. Second, in many ways students are more uptight. The job market is much more competitive, and it is increasingly competitive to get into law school and medical school.

If you could give Duke students one piece of advice, what would you say?

This may sound trite, but I would say: work hard, play hard.

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.