This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Ashley visited Duke for Blue Devil Days as a pfrosh. During her visit, her host took her and a few friends to The Coffeehouse on East Campus. None of them were entirely sure how the whole payment thing worked (imagine life on campus without your Duke card… yeah). Unsure of what to do, Ashley and her friends decided not to order anything. A freshman guy hanging out in The Coffeehouse took notice. He got up and walked over to the counter and asked for hot chocolates for everyone. Ashley remembers thinking how sweet this gesture was. Now a Duke student, Ashley understands that putting a few hot cocoas on food points wouldn’t be so grand. But, still. It’s the thought that counts, right?

Flash forward to Ashley’s choice to come to Duke, and her first year at school. During her second week on campus, she ran into Hot Cocoa Guy at tailgate for a football game. Of course, they struck up a conversation after recognizing each other. Later in the year, they ended up being on mock trial together, although they didn’t interact much. They finally ended up going on their first coffee date in French Science. It all began before she even stepped up to the counter, as he said to the barista, “she’ll get a hot chocolate.”

After French Science, they went to another coffee place on campus, and then another, until she knew the ins and outs of every coffee spot on campus. From Trinity Café to Bella Union, Ashley knows to go to spots for the best hot chocolate on campus and the most relaxing environments, the best place for on-the-go coffee as well as the place you’ll want to sit down and chat with a friend or study.

So here’s the low down, straight from the coffee guru herself:

French Science – Definitely the most undercover spot; I didn’t even know it existed until my friend showed it to me last year. French Science is such a cool building and this is one of the only places on Science Drive where you can grab coffee. However, it’s not the best atmosphere for sitting down and talking, because there aren’t a lot of tables.

The Coffeehouse on East Campus– This is where it all started, the first place I ever went to get coffee as a pfrosh. It has some great nostalgic memories for me, and it is one of the only places on campus where the coffee is served in actual ceramic cups as opposed to plastic containers.  The atmosphere in this place is amazing and very chill, due to the hookah smoking and artsy decorations. The student performances that happen here are also awesome. This is the perfect place to get a break from the intense Duke stress.

Bella Union – My absolute favorite place for coffee. Their hot chocolate is also to die for (best hot chocolate I’ve ever had), and the comfy couches and little booths make it the perfect place to study. Additionally, since it’s a little out of the way in McClendon Tower, there are so many people who haven’t really discovered it yet. There’s barely ever a crowd and Bella is always warm and cozy in the winter months. If you’re looking for a good coffee date, this is a great place if you want to keep it casual while you’re getting to know someone. It’s a nice homey feel that will put you at ease and you won’t feel like everyone is staring at you. 

Joe Van Gogh – Great mocha lattes and awesome music. Feels like a coffee shop you would find somewhere in Soho in New York. The only downside is that there is a lack of space to really enjoy it. Most people grab and go, but it’s always a popular location.

Twinnies – The only place on campus where you can get actual Starbucks. Enough said.

Au Bon Pain – ABP is obviously the new craze, the only downside being the constant crowds. The staff is always so friendly and sweet though, and the coffee is always fresh. Better for grabbing on the go than meeting to talk with a friend.

Trinity Café – Honestly, this is a better place for smoothies and to-go fruit than coffee. It’s often crowded and busy due to the influx of Marketplace patrons. The coffee itself is pretty good, but Trinity doesn’t have as good of an atmosphere as Bella or The Coffeehouse. You’ll always run into friends, though; it’s definitely the freshmen place to be!

McDonalds – The place to go when you need coffee after midnight. Everywhere else basically shuts down around that hour, but McDonalds is open all night long. Whether you need a caffeine jolt to inspire you to hammer out the rest of your paper or you just want to hang out with a friend and procrastinate, this is the place to go.

Von der Heyden Cafe (Saladelia) – I think the assortment of teas here is the best on campus. My personal recommendation is the Hot Cinnamon Spice- it’s how I pretty much start every morning. VDH is the perfect place to go when you want to run into friends. The all glass enclosure makes you feel a bit like you’re on display sometimes, but the friendly staff and great music makes it a nice break from Perkins. I went to VDH after the first snowfall last year and had hot chocolate with my best friend as snow fell outside. Watching the snow hit the glass walls was absolutely gorgeous. It’s probably one of my favorite memories of freshmen year.

So, what ever happened with Ashley and her friend? Well, they’ve already planned to try out ABP when he gets back from studying abroad, since it’s the only place on campus they haven’t been together yet.

Photo Sources:

1 2 3

My name is Sarah Haas and I am a sophomore at Duke University just tryin' to figure it all out! I'm from a small town in North Carolina called Granite Falls, right in the heart of the piedmont of the Appalachian Mountains. I'm passionate about social justice, gender equality, volunteerism, and the pursuit of a good cup of coffee. I love to read and write- with a special interest in poetry- and I'm always updating a blog or social media site- so, I love being a part of Her Campus!
Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).