Brilliant Braids: Cute Hairstyles for the Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I don’t know about you, but lately I am all about braiding my hair. I’m definitely not good at it, but that’s the beauty of it. A braid doesn’t have to look polished and there are tons of new types that can add flair to any kind of look.
For the prepster girl who likes to look very put together, the French braid should be your go to. Here are the steps:

1.     Take a piece from the front of your hairline. Divide it into three pieces. Cross the right strand over the middle. It is now the middle strand. Then, cross the left strand over the middle strand.
2.     Pick up another piece of hair and add it to the right stand. Cross it over to the middle and then do the same on the left.
3.     Keep doing this until all your hair has been added to the braid. Then just do a traditional braid until you’re done.

This is a great way to keep bangs out of your face and can easily be dressed up with a cute headband! Once you learn how to do this, it’s easy to do pigtails, a small braid with your hair kept down, or side braid too.

There’s also the waterfall braid. This is my personal favorite and has been getting really popular lately. It looks pretty and feminine!

1.     Get a small piece of hair and braid it regularly three times.
2.     French braid the left strand and drop the right strand.
3.     Pick up a small piece of hair and braid it back in. Repeat this til you get to the middle of your head. At this point, you can either pin it or finish it off with a regular braid or a fishtail.

This is really easy to do and looks great if you add a flower or small barrette.

Lastly, there’s the fishtail braid. This is the simplest one and looks really good if you use tiny pieces.

1.     Divide your hair into two even pieces.
2.     Pull one piece from the outside of the right side, bringing it over all the other hair on the right and the pull in under the left section.
3.     Do the same on the other side.
4.     Repeat until you’re done.
All of these look really good and aren’t too hard. The key is to just practice them and accessorize . They’ll add a ton of character to an outfit and will eventually take less time than straightening your hair. If none of these match your personality, look around on the Internet. There are a bunch of other great ideas out there! Happy braiding.

Pictures:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/5752114919_0723fd89bf_o.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/023/d/4/french_braid_by_jenelizab…
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2IJGxY7bd8I/TfBknUgu6YI/AAAAAAAAJXs/uAcf9uGXj6…

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).