The Best DIY Halloween Costumes of 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Want to look cute for Halloween this year but don’t want to shell out the cash for a costume from the store?  Here are some fun do-it-yourself options that will help you find the costume of your dreams in your very own closet. 

1. Despicable Me Minion:

If these adorable, yellow sidekicks stole your heart just like they stole ours, then this costume is perfect for you.  Grab a yellow t-shirt, tank, or bandeau, and pair it with some jean shorts and suspenders or a pair of overalls (Southern girls, now’s the time to get some use out of those!).   Add the final touch on your outfit with a pair of glasses, or make a headband of minion eyes using two Styrofoam cups and a black sharpie.  Best part about this outfit?  If it is cold out, you will still look equally as cute in long jeans instead of shorts. 

2. Toddlers and Tiaras: 

Let your guilty pleasure inspire your costume this Halloween by grabbing a tutu, a sash, and a pimped out pacifier.  Top off the outfit with a sparkly tiara, and even Honey Boo Boo will be impressed. 

3. Daisy Buchanan: 

Find your Jay Gatsby this Halloween by channeling the chic girl we all love to hate.  Don a sparkly or metallic dress, add some pearls and a bejeweled headband, and get ready to dance the night away like it’s still the Roaring Twenties.  You will be sure glad you did, old sport!

4. Blue Devil:

Forget the classic red devil; show your Duke pride this Halloween by wearing a bright blue bodycon dress or your favorite Duke attire to dress up as our school mascot.  Stop by the bookstore to get some light up devil horns—they will come in handy for basketball season too!

Picture Citations: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major