Best Desserts on Campus and in Durham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Now that Durham winter is really hitting us, I have found myself watching too much TV and eating more food, in particular dessert, than any human being should consume. I have a massive sweet tooth and since I’ve already put on that Thanksgiving and Christmas pie weight I figure why not keep going in that direction. So recently I have been branching out from my typical Ben & Jerry’s tubs to try some new desserts. As a self-proclaimed dessert expert here I give you my favorite desserts on Duke Campus and in the city of Durham (so far).

The Loopwich

According to the guy at the Loop—who now knows me and my roommate, Kelly, due to our massive dessert orders—I was just about the only person on campus who had never had one. But in case there is someone else out there who didn’t know about it either, now you do and you have no excuse not to get one! I don’t know how I was surviving before this great discovery. Once I got one I went back the following day to get one and the next day and I hate to admit it, but also the next day. What differentiates the loopwich from other chipwiches is that they put it together there so the cookies are still warm and gooey perfectly balancing out the ice cream.

Toasted Marshmallow Chocolate Bar

The second dessert on my list is also from the Loop (as you can tell I have been spending a lot of time there). The toasted marshmallow chocolate bar is essentially a winter alternative to the s’more and without the mess. They go pretty quickly though. I have been there a few times now when they’ve been out so it is not a guarantee you’ll be able to get one depending on when you go.

Frosting Shots

This is the best idea to ever happen to dessert and you can get it at the Cupcake Bar in Durham. Now you can eat just plain icing and not feel so disgusting about eating from the tub. I mean it’s on the menu so that makes it socially acceptable, right… right?

All the Desserts at Beyú Caffe

I actually ended up in Beyú Caffe only because my first choice for brunch one Sunday was too crowded and in an unusual move on my part wandered in somewhere new. I knew it was one of my better decisions though when I saw all of the desserts in the case at the front. Pick anyone in it and you’ll probably end up happy. My personal favorite was a multi-layered chocolate mousse dessert.

Photo Source: 1

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.