This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Although the Marketplace brunch is great and super convenient, I love going off campus for brunch on weekends. It’s a great way to reward yourself after a long week and catch up with friends. Plus, getting a change of scenery is always nice. Whether you’re in the mood for something light and healthy or some classic southern comfort food, Durham has an option for you. Here are some of my favorite places.

Parker and Otis

This unique restaurant located just past Brighleaf Square is part café and part gift shop. Filled with inspirational quotes and colorful merchandise, it always puts me in a good mood. It has the best sandwiches; some of my favorites include the turkey, bacon, avocado as well as the tomato and fresh mozzarella. For those of you feeling adventurous, I’ve also heard the peanut butter, bacon and banana panini is great. If you’re in more of a breakfast mood, the smoked salmon on a bagel with cream cheese is amazing. And after you’re done eating, you can shop for items like stationary, cards, candles, and more.

Elmo’s Diner

This bright, cheerful diner has a great small-town feel and equally wonderful food. Located on Ninth Street, it’s filled with charm and friendly employees. It reminds me a little of Luke’s Diner from Gilmore Girls. My favorites are the Mexican omelet (with sausage, sautéed onions, jack cheese & salsa), the classic biscuits and gravy, and the cinnamon apple pancakes. You also can’t go wrong with the French toast or blueberry waffle with whipped cream (especially if you’re looking to go into a blissful sugar coma).

Foster’s

You can tell that every ingredient this restaurant uses is fresh and expertly prepared. I love the atmosphere here; it really feels like having brunch in someone’s home. Featuring unique items such as a seven pepper jelly grilled cheese and vanilla French toast along with more traditional fare like chicken salad and BLTs, this place is hard to beat. There’s really something for everyone. Their desert menu is excellent as well, with treats such as key lime pie, lemon bars, and freshly made cookies. Plus, they sell many of their ingredients like jams and jellies, so you add a taste of Foster’s to your everyday diet.

Treating yourself to brunch on the weekends is a great way to unwind after a long week and give yourself motivation to complete your next to-do list. Try any of these places, and I guarantee your heart and stomach will be full.

Freshman at Duke University! I love my friends, running, buying things I can't afford, and watching Gossip Girl.