This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Name: Alex Buben
Nicknames? Ever since my friends found out that I’m afraid of the dark, they’ve called me Nightlight.
Hometown: Yardley, PA
Major(s): Public Policy/German
Graduation year: 2014

What activities are you involved in on campus? Sigma Pi Fraternity, FAC Board

What is your favorite movie quote?  “I don’t know if we each have a destiny, or if we’re all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it’s both. Maybe both is happening at the same time.” – Forrest Gump

Who is your celebrity crush? Natalie Portman – she’s intelligent, she’s beautiful…what’s not to like?

Best advice you’ve ever gotten? “You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” – Wayne Gretzsky 

If you could add another “graduation requirement,” what would it be? Graduate with a degree from Pratt. I spent one semester there, and I can’t even begin to imagine how those people manage to get through those classes.  If you can make it through four years of engineering at Duke, you deserve a medal.

Do you have any secret talents? I was once ranked in the top 100 players on Xbox Live for Guitar Hero. I’m not proud of it, but I am a legend on the plastic guitar.

Boxers or briefs? Neither. Compression shorts have changed my outlook on life.

Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC? *NSYNC.  “No Strings Attached” was the first album I ever bought on my own.

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.