7 Ways to Make Your Dorm Room Festive for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Your family gathers to string popcorn and adorn the grand tree conquering the living room, reminiscing over old ornaments and holiday memories while Bing Crosby and Love Actually play in the background. The holidays are not perfect with sibling squabbles and gift-giving fiascoes, but at home, decorating for the holidays was a well-oiled, beloved tradition.

But what about in college? How can you decorate and celebrate the season in a cramped, already overflowing dorm room with limited resources and a limited budget? Follow these seven tips to make your December sparkle.

1. Blast holiday tunes

Whether you prefer the Thanksgivukkah a cappella parody of the song “Royals,” a Christmas chart topper, or a classic Nat King Cole carol, singing out loud to your favorite carol is sure to lift your spirit.

2. Don an tacky holiday sweater

Showcase your enthusiasm for the season by proudly pulling off an over-the-top Christmas sweater.

3. Decorate with a tree

What is Christmas without a tree? Real or fake, this addition is the perfect way to add some holiday pizazz to your room. Of course, while a real tree is a bit absurd, you can get creative by fashioning your own out of cans, cardboards or books, or by purchasing a small, fake one like this one that pays homage to Charlie Brown from Target.

4. Wrap your door

Make even your door welcome the season by wrapping it with the merry wrapping paper and plenty of ribbon. Broadcast your spirit to your entire hall.

5. Light it up

String twinkle lights up around your dorm room to illuminate your space and augment the holiday merriment.

6. Hang stockings

Instead of exchanging presents with your roommate and friends in the conventional manner, suspend stockings on your walls or doors, adding small goodies to help them make it through finals.

7. It’s in the air

Candles not only look cute, but they also smell amazing. Choose from a variety of scents–peppermint, pine needles or sugar cookies–and invest in a candle warmer to spice up your room.

Photos: 1 2 3 4 5

Duke 2015 - Central Jersey - Economics (Finance Concentration) & English double major