6 More Weeks of Winter Say What???

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Happy Groundhog’s Day (aka the strangest holiday celebrated in the U.S.)!! While it may seem pretty pointless to most of us, to Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, this tradition goes back for over a century. The magical Punxsutawney Phil comes out of his home once a year to declare the changing (or not changing) of the seasons.

And how would an overweight squirrel gain the ability to put your local meterorologist to shame? Hard to say really. However, this traditional celebration has been going on since the late 1800s, and nobody is looking to let it die down any time soon.

So what did our dear Phil declare? Six more weeks of winter! Looks like we’re gonna have a few more cold fronts before we make it to spring, but hey. Maybe this means potential snow days!!

I am a senior at Duke University studying psychology and history, and I have been writing with Her Campus since I was a freshman. Having this incredible community of empowering women to build me up when I need support and to give me an outlet when I need to vent has been one of the greatest aspects of my Duke career! I am so sad to leave them soon, but I am excited to pursue my J.D. at Georgetown in the fall!