The 5 Types of People on LDOC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

LDOC – a day of celebration for many, and a blissful escape from the looming threat of exams. Different people celebrate in different ways; here are 5 people you’ll find on LDOC!

1. The Marathoner

You’re up early the morning of LDOC – but not because you’re trying to get a head start on school work. It’s 9am and you’re sipping mimosas, only to go on to sample an enormous variety of drinks throughout the day. By the time the concert begins, you are in a very (alcohol-induced) happy place, and the concert seems like it’s the best thing you’ve ever experienced. You don’t need naps, because today you’re operating on the motto “sleep is for the weak”. These champs are far and few between, so kudos to you if you fall in this category!

2. The Normal One

You may have partaken in some drinks earlier in the day than you normally would – but it is LDOC after all, so why not live a little?! You managed to maintain that perfect level of buzzed the entire day, and may have taken a quick nap in the late afternoon to be able to rally for the concert. But rally you do – with a group of good friends who make the entire experience just that much more enjoyable.

3. The White Rabbit

You’re late! You’re late! For a very important date! Had an important exam or a quiz until 4:20? You’re playing catch up for the rest of the night, because by the time you find your friends, they’ve been rallying and celebrating for hours. This is one of the most difficult roles to fill, as it’s a delicate balance between finding the perfect buzz and Hot Mess Central. Tread with care, White Rabbits!

4. The Overzealous Premed

To these school-enthused students, the last day of classes isn’t something to celebrate – it’s simply an excuse to get that prime spot in Perkins you always have to fight for and get some early exam studying in. These students are even rarer than the Marathoner, and I must say, their levels of dedication are simultaneously incredibly impressive and somewhat terrifying. If you fall into this category – might I suggest taking it a little easier and living at least for one day? After all, sometimes you gotta live a little!

5. The Little Old Lady

What is this newfangled “LDOC concert” you speak of?? Back in my day, it was enough to simply enjoy the company of friends! If you found yourself sober and thinking of tucking in to bed at 10pm, you’ve found your group. You’re disinterested in the idea of drinking, and the mere thought of venturing to Shooters is so laughable you would have a six pack by the time you stopped laughing. I personally found myself in this category this year – quite the departure from previous years, I must say. I placated my desire to go to bed by finding some friends who don’t drink and watching a movie together, so I still got some quality friend time without any undesired rowdiness.    

Which one are you? Hopefully your LDOC was enjoyable, regardless of which role you may have filled. Here’s to finishing out exams, and to getting to the bliss of summer!