5 Holiday Albums to Get Your Season Started

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I firmly believe that it is acceptable to start listening to Christmas music after Halloween. Some people will tell you that you have to wait until after Thanksgiving, but I don’t think you can put a time limit on Christmas spirit. I love Christmas. I have already ordered an obnoxious amount of decorations for my dorm room. I’ve been listening to the Christmas Pandora station for weeks now and it has been getting me through countless hours of studying and paper writing. I’ve complied a list of some of the best albums I’ve heard that will get you in the mood for the best time of the year.

1. Noël by Josh Groban

This is the album you want to listen to if you like the classics. Josh Groban has one of the most angelic voices in music today. You will attempt to sing along, but you know you will never be able to match pitch with his incredible high notes. With songs like “O Come All Ye Faithful” and “Ave Maria,” you will immediately get in the holiday spirit.

2. Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey

Everyone has heard the infamous song off of this album, “All I Want for Christmas is You,” but this album has so much more to offer. It has a lot of gospel influences and features only upbeat Christmas songs. This is not something to quietly listen to in your dorm. This album is only for when you feel the need to belt Christmas songs at the top of your lungs.  

3. Christmas by Michael Bublé

If you ever meet someone who says that they don’t like Michael Bublé then you need to get them out of your life. Yes, I know that Michael Bublé essentially only does covers of the musical greats like Sinatra, but his Christmas album is absolute perfection. It’s the perfect mix of hymnal-style Christmas music and fun, upbeat songs.

4. White Christmas by Bing Crosby

I am a sucker for the movie “White Christmas.” It is my favorite Christmas movie and I love the old-timey feel of this album. It is a tradition in my house to play this album as we open presents by the fire with hot chocolate so this album just makes me think of home. Bing Crosby’s voice is so soothing that I would not recommend that you listen to it while doing work or you’ll fall asleep. It’s perfect for lounging in your bed dreaming of being home.

5. Wrapped in Red by Kelly Clarkson

This is a great Christmas album because it is very unexpected. Kelly Clarkson features some original songs intermixed with the classics that we all know and love. It is a great mix of country and pop. Her original “Underneath the Tree” is super fun and upbeat. This album is perfect for dancing around the kitchen while baking Christmas cookies.