4 Reasons Why You Should Dress Up For School This Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Maintaining a presentable appearance throughout the academic day is more than just a matter of vanity! It actually benefits your scholastic performance as well as your relationships with your peers. Seriously consider these 4 thoughts while you are deciding what to wear tomorrow morning:

1.) Figuring out what to wear actually benefits your academic performance. Putting time into how you look takes extra thought, which makes you more awake at the time and therefore more alert for the rest of the day. Your brain actually begins working prior to class time! Pair a great outfit with a nice cup of coffee and you will be set for those dreaded early morning lectures!

2.) Professors have to look presentable for class, so why shouldn’t you? A teacher is unlikely to think highly of someone who comes to his or her lectures looking disheveled and lazy. By dressing well for class, you are showing much more respect for your teacher than you know. In a classroom setting, a put together outfit also reflects well on your intellect. The ability to deliver a great piece of work while also maintaining an assembled appearance shows your peers your admirable put-togetherness.  

3.) You never know who you might run into. Potential employers? Surprise influential lecturers? Advisers? That cute guy from the other night? If you don’t want people to see you looking gross, then don’t let them! You have the ability to prepare yourself for every run-in over the course of the day. So if you feel embarrassed to look a certain way in front of certain people, then you should feel embarrassed to be walking around in general!

4.) Looking better makes you feel better. College is the perfect time to develop your own personal style. After you graduate, you will be thrown into the professional world clad in clothes you are required to wear. Take the time now to create your own look that makes you feel most confident in your skin. Experiment with different trends and colors! College is the perfect time to work with your wardrobe!