This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Already acquainted with the Nasher? Take a trip downtown, and find the new 21c Museum Hotel in the historically famous Hill Building. 12c is not only a boutique hotel and a contemporary museum, but also a restaurant and bar which is perfect for dinner or drinks after exploring the museum.

The concept of this multi-purpose establishment was founded by Laura Lee Brown and Steve Wilson, both avid art enthusiasts who wanted make contemporary art more accessible in Durham. The galleries, which have free admission, show art work from up and coming artists as well as many internationally acclaimed artists. It currently displays exhibitions titled Pop Stars! (“a multi-media exploration of popular culture a decade and a half into the 21st Century) as well as an exhibition inspired by Duchamp and Koons that  “attests to the proliferation of commercial and industrial products”. 

The Counting House, which is the restaurant in the museum, serves a menu based on food from North Carolina, and includes items such as ‘Shrimp and Grits with manchego’ and of course, a ‘Counting House Burger’ as well as mussels.