10 Things to Do Around Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Halloween season is finally here, which means now we all have an excuse to dress up in scandalous outfits (which normally would receive dirty looks, but are considered completely acceptable on this single day of the year), indulge in our favorite candy, and watch those horror films we only bring out this time of year.  In this article, I have listed ten fun and frightening things to do this October to celebrate the marvelous day that is Halloween!

1.) Host a Halloween party- Hosting a Halloween party is   a great way to celebrate!  Costume themed parties and    murder themed parties are great options!

2.) Go to a haunted house- Visit the Durham Jaycee’s    Haunted House!  Also, check out this week’s article on  haunted houses for more ideas!

3.) Explore a corn maze- Use those Dukie brains to try to  find the end of these seemingly perpetual pathways.  Nearby  mazes include McKee’s Cornfield Maze and Ken’s Korny Corn  Maze.

4.) Carve pumpkins- Go to the local pumpkin patch and pick up a few to decorate your room! You can find great pattern printouts online!

5.) Make Halloween treats- Head to the kitchen and bake up some of your favorite Halloween treats.  Candy apples, rice krispie treats, and any creation including gummy worms are great ideas!

6.) Carolina Ballet- For theatre lovers, the Carolina Ballet performs Dracula from October 13-30!

7.) Halloween Bike Ride- To fulfill your philanthropic duties this Halloween, consider participating in the Halloween Bike Ride, benefitting Habitat for Humanity.  The race is October 29th and includes 31, 62, and 100-mile routes.

8.) Homegrown Halloween- Even though we love to hate UNC, I’m not sure many people could argue with their Halloween celebration.  On October 31, go to Franklin Street to celebrate with over 80,000 people!

9.) Host a scary movie marathon- Along with popcorn, candy, and maybe even some spooky punch (try green Hi-C with gummy worms), a movie marathon may be just the thing to bring up those Halloween jitters!  Try your childhood favorites, such as Hocus Pocus and Disney’s Halloweentown (my personal favorites).  For those of you who are more adventurous, try classics like Saw and Scream.

10.) Go on a hay ride- Gather your friends and go on an afternoon hay ride- it is a great way to relax after a long day of classes and studying!

Photo Source: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=halloween&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&r…

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.