10 Things That Are Totally Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I can’t remember the last time that I wasn’t stressed out about something. Whether it’s schoolwork or what I’m going to wear, almost everything has the potential to send me into a whirlwind of anxiety. Maybe it’s the “overachiever culture” at Duke that everyone seems to be talking about. Or maybe I just have a personal tendency to overanalyze, worry, and compare myself to others. But it’s time to stop stressing the small stuff and put more attention towards what really matters like what we actually want to do with our lives (eek – don’t even get me started on that). We all just need to take a breath and let some things go. Here is a list of 10 things that are totally okay.

1.     To wear the same pair of jeans two (or three) days in a row. Because of the crazy weather, I have to change outfits multiple times a day. There is no shame in repeating an outfit especially if you only wore it for a few hours. I can guarantee that no one remembers.

2.     To hug every dog you see on campus. If I can’t play with my own dogs, I might as well play with someone else’s, even if that makes me look a little ridiculous amidst people hurrying to class.  

3.     If the last time you changed the way you style your hair was your freshmen year of high school. You know what looks good on you better than anyone. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

4.     To carry snacks wherever you go. You never know what’s going to happen; I’d rather be prepared than experience a hangry meltdown.

5.     To ask your roommate to hand you your headphones after you have settled into bed (and are waaay too lazy to move). Usually I feel guilty doing this, but then I remember that I can always return the favor later.

6.     To go to class wearing a scarf, hat, gloves, and parka even if it’s only 50 degrees outside. I’d rather be warm and look ridiculous than be cold and fashionable.

7.     To look up pictures of Zac Efron and James Franco to get you through the day. It’s not considered creepy or obsessive if they’re famous.

8.     To “forget” to shave your legs. What’s the point when shorts weather is over?

9.     To have a few guilty-pleasure TV shows. My personal favorites are Pretty Little Liars and One Tree Hill. Sure, they’re not very intellectual, but they are definitely entertaining. 

10. To get irrationally excited about the little things in life (like a really good new song or a delicious cookie). If people give you strange looks for doing a happy dance in the middle of the quad, don’t even pay attention to them. The world needs more people who are overwhelmingly, shamelessly happy. 

Freshman at Duke University! I love my friends, running, buying things I can't afford, and watching Gossip Girl.