Your Official Guide to the State of the Union Address

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Being a college student, I know how hard it can be to set out a couple hours of your time to watch a political address, so I have created a simple guide of the State of the Union Address. 

What you need to know

Most importantly, President Obama is beginning his eighth and final year as the President of the United States. This speech marks his seventh, and likely his last State of the Union Address. With Joe Biden and Paul Ryan in the backdrop, Obama begins the address in a lighthearted manner, promising to “keep it short.”

Obama Looking to the Future

“I want to focus on our future.”

Main Points In The Speech

After opening with remarks about the future and continuing to make America even better than it is now, Obama lays out the four main questions he would like to address in his speech.  These are questions he hopes the next President will take into consideration in the coming years.

“First, how do we give everyone a fair shot at opportunity and security in this new economy?”

“Second, how do we make technology work for us, and not against us — especially when it comes to solving urgent challenges like climate change?”

“Third, how do we keep America safe and lead the world without becoming its policeman?”

“And finally, how can we make our politics reflect what’s best in us, and not what’s worst?”

Feeling Concerned about USA progress?

Have no fear, the Medium Company, which provides the full text of the speech here, also offers charts showing our country’s progress in the economy, climate change, and high school graduation rates. 

Photo Credit: Medium

Photo Credit: Medium

Photo Credit: Medium

Each of these graphs depict a clear upward progress for our country. Sadly, our Carbon Dioxide levels are increasing as well, which is creating grave consequences for our planet. Obama was able to address a few of his main points, and then moves onto the concept of America being a global policeman. 

Ever wonder how Obama feels about the strength of the USA?

“The United States of America is the most powerful nation on Earth. Period. It’s not even close.” The topic of ISIL, more commonly known to us as ISIS, brought up this powerful quote. Obama knows the strength the United States has, and what we can offer to the rest of the world in the face of brutal terrorism. 

Final Words

To end his speech, Obama refers to the line in our Declaration of Independence, “We the People.”Obama states in his speech, “I’ll be right there with you as a citizen — inspired by those voices of fairness and vision, of grit and good humor and kindness that have helped America travel so far.” He is promising to stand with the people of the United States, and that even if you feel your voice is not being heard, he “sees you.” For all the Friday Night Light’s  fanatics out there, Obama finishes with a Coach Taylor type statement, “That’s the America I know. That’s the country we love. Clear-eyed. Big-hearted.”#americathebeautiful

Below is the full video of the speech, and here is the full text version. 

Olivia Sheehan is student at the University of Denver, studying Strategic Communication and Psychology. Some of her passions include skiing, traveling, cute animals, and spending time with friends. She is a campus correspondent of Her Campus DU, and is excited about the future of Her Campus here at the University of Denver.