Why DU’s Campus is the Most Beautiful Campus Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Hopefully you had a chance to take the cliché picture in front of a sign on campus that says the University of Denver when you first arrived at DU. If not, there is still time! There are two I know of, and they are both great for photo-ops. The signs are a perfect introduction to the school’s beauty, and for me, they foreshadowed how much I would continue to fall in love with the aesthetic of this school. 

Now, yes, this school is super pricey. I am blessed with scholarships and loans (haha, like loans are fun) that allow me to pay for such a prestigious education given my extremely limited financial support from my single-mother. I could talk about the finances of this school entirely by itself; however, I would like to take the time to chill out and appreciate what I do have and what I have earned rather than what I believe every college student should be given as their right to higher education.

photo by me, University of Denver Welcome Mat

One thing I appreciate about DU in case you cannot tell, is the beauty of it. From the architecture to the trees, to the plants, to the statues, to the windows and the walls, I only see a visually pleasing environment (not including the public population). Just looking at DU’s raw beauty, especially when students are scarce, can give me a sense of calmness– I feel more relaxed. Among all its flaws, this aspect of DU is pure. Even Sturm, that maze of a building, is still this intricate building that gives me reminiscence of a simpler time when universities only needed one building to house its students.

As someone with anxiety, I think the campus itself can be a useful tool to help become more mindful and feel at peace. Finding somewhere to just be alone with the sounds of birds and life moving around you can really improve your overall mood! Just walking to class can be relaxing. Look around you. Look at every tree. Each building. Try to find a new tree, or a new design or feature of a building. Explore! Take new paths and discover more beauties of this campus. 

photo by me, Between Olin and Boettcher Auditorium

So, that being said, I’d like to share some of my favorite aspects of DU’s campus to give you an idea of what to be looking for!

Sunsets

I shouldn’t even mention this one because it’s a given. I think every student who attends here eventually posts a sunset picture to their Instagram. If you don’t, I mean DU you really go here?? 

Nature

I’ve seen the landscapers here un-plant and then re-plant different types of flowers according to a seasonal change. Like wow. The trees and flowers here are so gorgeous and unique. How can you not smile with the flowers? 

photo by me, Opening of the Engineering and Computer Science building

Snow

#WinterQuarter is horrible and full of sickness, but at least the perfect white blanket covering our paths to those 8 AM classes looks at peace and talks you into just not going to that 8 AM. 

YAS YAS YAS YASSSSSS ❄️??? #DUFirstSnow #fillyoureyeswithwonder

A post shared by Kelly Alexis (@kelbitna) on

Buildings

Okay, so many of the building here are extra, and I LOVE IT. It makes me feel appreciated (by the way: all new buildings are funded only by donors, not students, so yay) because my campus is kept nice for me to go anywhere at anytime and find somewhere to relax, hang with friends, or even meet up with a potential employer. 

photo by me, Mary Reed Hall Dawn

Sunny Days

Because everything looks beautiful under the Colorado sun, including you :) 

she matches the leaves and the fireball in the sky, happy birthday ape ???

A post shared by mañana (@man.ya.na) on

If you do go here, please stop and remember to enjoy the beauty of this campus and make the most of this ambiance. And if you don’t, I’m sorry you can’t live in a tree museum. 

XOXO
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.