The White Russian (The DJ, Not the Drink…)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

The lights are low, the alcohol is flowing (for those over the age of twenty-one), and the music is making the floor buzz as groups of DU students let loose and unwind on the Redford’s dance floor after an already too stressful week two of the quarter. You dare your friend to go request her favorite, but totally embarrassing, song from the DJ, but she counters with, “I don’t even know him, so that would be far too weird.” Well, here’s your chance to get to know the cute guy making your music dreams come true, so you never have to feel weird about requesting a song again.

This week we had the chance to sit down and talk to the face behind the DJ known as the White Russian: the hilarious, down-to-earth, Nutella-loving Roman Kandirovskiy. Here’s what we found out:

Her Campus: Let’s start with the basics: What is your year and major here at DU?

Roman: I’m a third year, and I’m double majoring in Hospitality Management with a concentration in revenue management and Finance.

Her Campus: How and when did you get involved in DJing?

Roman: I was introduced to DJing and EDM when I was a freshman in boarding school. I lived across the hallway from a senior who would always play loud funky music (yeah…it was skrillex). His music would shake the entire dorm, and I couldn’t help being intrigued. I started talking to him about what he was doing, and soon enough he teaching me some of the basics. It was not until I got to DU though, that I got my own mixer and started playing around as a hobby. Now, I’ve been at it for about three years.

Her Campus: How did you get the name “White Russian”?

Roman: When I was planning my first gig at Redford’s, the bartenders were talking about drink specials, specifically white russians. Immediately, I thought that that was the perfect name for me, since I am from Moscow and all. It stuck ever since.

Her Campus: What is your favorite genre of music and favorite song?

Roman: Russian rap, hands down. I don’t listen to it often, but when I find a good song I jam to it for days, if not weeks. It helps remind me of my background, which I like considering how long I’ve been studying in the U.S. I don’t get to interact with other Russians all that much so it’s a good way to connect with home. My favorite song is “Don’t You Worry Child” which is incidentally by my favorite DJ Swedish House Mafia.

Her Campus: What does it take to become a good DJ? What is your advice to people who are just starting out?

Roman: Oh, there is a lot that goes into it. All the biggest DJs you know are producers and most also have some sort of musical background. I don’t do that, and I don’t have time for that. What I do is mix songs, feel the crowd, and adjust accordingly. That take lots of practice and feedback both on stage and at home. For beginners, I’d suggest to spend time with friends and play your stuff for them. I’m sure that none of the main stage DJs got good without their friends. It also helps to listen to other DJ’s live or radio mixes to get some creative ideas. Lastly, don’t be afraid to try your skills out on a big crowd because in worst case scenario someone will just request “Closer”.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite venue to DJ at?

Roman: Redfords. It was the first venue to let me play in this area, and I absolutely love it because of the people who work there. Without them and their support, I would probably still be just DJing at home for my friends.

Her Campus: What is the craziest thing you’ve ever seen while DJing?

Roman: Probably the time when I played the intro to Lion King because the crowd went absolutely nuts singing the lyrics. No one seemed to know the actual lyrics, and everyone was just blurting out their own version, jumping around, and having a great time.  I think I also saw couple guys pick each other up like Rafiki and Simba.

Her Campus: Do you want to pursue DJing after college?

Roman: Probably not because I don’t think my mom would like that *haha*.

Her Campus: What are some new things you’ve been working on?

Roman: Not sure. I’ve been getting a good crowd recently, so I’m thinking of maybe setting up CO2 cannons? CO2 guns? Confetti? Fireworks? Cakes? Bananas?

Although it’s doubtful that Redford’s will allow any of his new ideas into the bar, we’re still excited to see DU’s very own Roman Kandirovskiy tear up the stage at Redfords this Friday the 13th. Make sure to watch out for the Redford’s banner sporting “the White Russian” so you know when to come out to the bars for a guaranteed good time!

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.