element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to Expect When You Move in with Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Finding a new roommate and moving around in college can be a huge pain. In an attempt to avoid the awkward dynamics and stay far away from the res halls, my boyfriend and I took the plunge into the next level of seriousness and moved in together last December. One word to describe this move? TERRIFYING. What if we hate each other? What if we break up? But, what if it is great? For us, the move was great- beyond great, really. However, that’s not to say that there haven’t been bumps along the way. Like living with anyone new, you’ll find things that make you crazy and others that make you fall even crazier in love. Here are some of the things, both good and bad, that I found out when I moved in with my boyfriend. 

1. Date night is every night…kind of.

Being able to lounge on the couch and watch movies on the weekend was great, but we can do it every day… Watching the news is even fun now. We get to make dinner together, go on spur-of-the moment outings and have found ways to make even the most boring of Wednesdays into something special. 

2. Going on “real dates” happens less and less.

Since we are spoiled with being around each other every night, making the effort to get all dolled up and go out seems to happen less and less frequently. We have to make more of an effort to put together a unique and special outing- the dating and courtship of our relationship has had to evolve. 

3. He cooks.

Okay, admittedly this won’t be the case for everyone, but my boyfriend loves cooking AND he is good at it. I haven’t had this many home cooked meals a week since high school. 

4. Sharing a bathroom and a laundry bin can be...messy, among other things.

You know those days when your favorite jeans are in the dirty laundry bin, but you know that they are still clean and just need to be de-wrinkled in the dryer real quick? Say good-bye to those days. If you’re boyfriend works out, works hard, or makes a mess during his days then the laundry bin becomes akin to a radioactive trash chute. Be warned. 

5. Someone who loves you is there when you are sick, down, or having an off-day. 

Some roomies are amazing support systems, but nothing can beat living with someone who has a goal of making you happy each and every day. My boyfriend has been known to make emergency trips to the store for Nyquil, Talenti Gelato, ginger ale and chicken noodle soup. 

6. Your secret Biore nose strip rituals are no longer secret. 

It is uncomfortable learning to go about your embarassing and unsightly rituals in the presence of your other half, but by making jokes and convincing him to use a mud mask and nose strip with me from time to time has made this awkward situation one of the most entertaining parts of the day. 

7. When you fight, you can’t just go to your room. Your room is his room, so you have to work it out. 

We still argue, but now we work it out quickly and immediately. Talking something through and facing conflict head on has become easier, though that’s something that will never be totally comfortable- no matter where the two of us are living. Arguments are icky, but working them out quickly keeps the issue from becoming worse. 

8. Your wardrobe expands.

In need of a couple more comfy tees and a hoodie to sleep in? I get to cuddle up in one of his tees whenever I want. The only downside is that I now feel obligated to wash his laundry, too. 

9. You only have to pay for half of your weekly pizza and/or Chinese food delivery fees.

Splitting the cost of food helps both of your wallets…a lot. Groceries, late night snacks, cleaning supplies, and Red Box rentals are all now only half the cost. You both win big on that one. 

10. Ending every day with the person you love can make even the toughest of days end on a high note. 

My boyfriend and I both work late hours and long days. Sometimes, we can go all day without seeing or talking to each other. But, we get to end each day together and that is an incredible feeling.