This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

As of October 31st, Mercury Retrograde begins and lasts until November 20th, or right in the middle of finals week. It’s an astrological phenomenon that is memed every time it happens and thrown out as an excuse for why life sucks, but what does Mercury Retrograde mean in astrology and our lives?

What is Mercury retrograde?

In astrology, Mercury is the planet of communication and expression. It is supposed to represent thought processes and ideas in our conscious and unconscious minds. Every person has a specific mercury placement in their birth chart (find out what your mercury placement means here), and whichever sign Mercury is in determines this process. 

When Mercury retrogrades, that means that the planet is moving backwards or crossing the Earth. In astrology, this means the planet is challenging our sense of normalcy. All planets retrograde, but Mercury’s is somewhat famous online. In fact, Uranus, Neptune, and Chiron are also in retrograde right now.  

What does Mercury Retrograde mean for us?

Mercury Retrograde brings back our pasts and forces us to confront our old decisions and selves. Since this Mercury Retrograde is in Scorpio, a water sign, we will have to confront our feelings more than our thoughts. We will have to confront what kind of people we are and face our pasts to grow. Mercury Retrograde is known for having exes return into one’s life and for communication and technology errors, so make sure everything you’re working on for the rest of the quarter is backed up! 

This website offers more information on what this specific retrograde means for you.  

Why should you care?

TLDR; Mercury retrograde means the planet is moving backwards and crossing the Earth, and it brings problems with communication and expression. Whether or not you personally believe in astrology, it is still a tool for self-reflection and a way to understand others and the world. 

Happy Retrograde! Here’s a playlist for Mercury Retrograde by @blackwomencry on Instagram. 

Second-year at DU majoring in film production and international studies and minoring in Spanish. I am also currently learning Mandarin and I love learning languages! I also sing in the women's choir and DU, love spending time with my friends and watching movies all the time! I also love learning about astrology and philosophy!
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.