Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon-Paddle Board Summer
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

What To Do in Minnesota (and Quarantine in General)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

We’re living in a time that is turbulent and historic, and it brings us to a moment of self-reflection. The COVID-19 pandemic has forced college students everywhere to abruptly move back home in the middle of the school year. It’s caused last minute flights, long drives home, and frantic packing of the bare necessities while most of our belongings stay at school.

Many are feeling confused, lost, angry, and bored. No one imagined they would wake up in their childhood home to the sound of their parents and siblings signing into Zoom meetings – then, get ready for their own.

Living in Minnesota has its ups and downs. It can be hard to find fun things to do in the middle of March when the weather consists of clouds, rain, and too much snow. But Minnesota is a simple place with many hidden treasures. 

As one thing to do, purchase take-out from your favorite restaurant and help support local businesses. The local restaurants near me provide curbside pick-up of food orders, and they are very appreciative of customers during this time.

Do a fun workout inside. My favorites are the Corepower sculpt sessions, Pamela Reif on YouTube and Blogilatesworkout plan. 

Photo by Elly Fairytale from Pexels

These days may also give you more time to meditate, bake, read, clean and so much more. But make sure to not get worked up if you spend a full day doing absolutely nothing. Listen to your body, and do what makes you happy. 

I’ve taken these snowy Minnesota days to paint a room in my house a calm off-white. I use this room to Zoom into my classes and complete my homework. I believe everyone should find a special and quiet space for the school portion of their day. It’s been hard adjusting to an online format, so designating a space for work and creating a daily to-do list helps make the transition easier.

When the weather is nice, one of my favorite Minnesotan activities to do is going on a run or walk on one of the pretty trails that wrap around Lake Minnetonka and connect to the Arcola bridge. Right now is a fun time to get outside because you can notice how all the ice on the lake has been melting. It’s very exciting for Minnesotans – I’ve even seen a few boats on the lake.

high rise atlanta buildings over water
Photo by Kyle Sudu on Unsplash

I’ve appreciated how close I am to Minneapolis. There are many trails that wrap around the lakes located in the city, such as Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles, Bde Maka Ska, and Lake Harriet. These routes are perfect to bike, walk or rollerblade. You can take in the scenery of the trees and lakes and admire the city backdrop. 

The weather has been slowly warming up, so my family has taken the time to grill out and make nightly campfires. This is a perk of living in a state with lots of green space and trees – every house has a campfire. It helps us mimic a “warm” summer night.

Another specialty some Minnesotans have is access to a cabin. Many are deciding to quarantine themselves in their cabin or lake house, as those counties have almost no cases and are immersed in the quiet and beautiful scenery.

bridge surrounded by trees
Unsplash

These activities –walking, virtual workouts, crafts, cooking – can be replicated in any location. I encourage you to try new things and make the most out of this unsettling situation.

I am a junior at The University of Denver. I am double majoring in international studies and journalism with a minor in marketing. A few of my favorite activities are cooking, painting, listening to music, spending time with friends and swimming in the lakes in Minnesota. I have always had a love for writing!
I am a Senior at the University of Denver studying Communication Studies, Marketing, and Writing Practices. I love photography, exercise, reading, and trying new foods. I am currently one of the CC's here at HCDU.