Week 5: Strategies for Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Week 1 and 2, absolute breeze. Week 3, maybe a slight panic.  Week 4, and you’re in complete “oh sh*t” mode while scrambling to study for all of your midterms.  That brings us to the inevitable week 5, undoubtedly everyone’s least favorite week of the quarter.  Although week 5 can be insanely stressful, here are some ways to help make it a little more tolerable.

Exercise is so so important in maintaining your physical and mental health.  It has been proven to “reduce fatigue, improve alertness and concentration, enhance cognitive function, and decrease overall levels of tension,” according to the ADAA.  Working out at the Ritchie Center or taking a jog around campus is great, but going to the gym everyday can get old.  Instead, try a spinning class at CycleBar, which offers tons of different types of classes such as a classic ride, a connect ride (combines biking with yoga), or themed sessions, like a “Coachella ride”.  If you bring your student ID, drop-in classes are only $12, and riding packages are discounted at a special student rate.

Another way to stay on top of your game week 5 is to take Emergen-c daily.  Even if you’re not sick, it’s a super easy way to get in all your vitamins and avoid catching the cold your suitemate has.  You can find a 30-count Emergen-c box (super orange is the best flavor) for around $10 at any supermarket, or beg your mom to mail them in a care package like I do.  Plus, leftover packets can be used as chasers.

Make a thorough to-do list.  Add everything you have to do for the week, even non-academic things like grocery shopping. That way, when you finish a task, you have the satisfying feeling of crossing it off your list.  There’s nothing quite like watching your to-do list shrink, and by the end of the week when everything is crossed off, you’ll feel insanely accomplished and proud of yourself.

So you’ve made it to Thursday and the week is FINALLY over (for most of us anyway).  Congrats, you did it! After working your ass off for a week, you deserve to treat yourself.  My weekly reward is hitting the Border, but if that doesn’t cut it for you, set a physical reward for yourself.  Treat yourself to a manicure, get brunch at Jelly with your friends, or buy those jeans you’ve been eyeing forever.   

Follow these tips for a foolproof way to be successful during week 5. Good luck Pios! 

Hi!  I'm a second-year at DU studying Strategic Communications, Marketing, & Psychology.  When I'm not at the library studying, you can find me lounging around campus in a hammock, being forced to work out, or on a patio somewhere enjoying an icy margarita.  My favorite pastimes include watching Broad City and skating on thin ice.